green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishadvice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
it doesn't matter what I do - do a 50% water change each week or use clear water products, my tank water is just getting cloudier and cloudier.
My problem is that I have platies and they just breed and breed. The water quality is fine but I can't see the fish! I have the temperature at 27 degrees. Do you think if it were colder (say 24 degrees) they would breed less? I have already donated about 150 fish to my local aquarium shop but I'd just like
a) a stable tank and b) one with clear water.
Any advise anyone can give would be really appreciated.
Thanks very much!:fish1:

It's called algae, you have either way to Much light on, or on too long of a time, it's common in Warmer tanks but I don't think at that temp it would be the cause, overfeeding also causes it, decomposing plant matter and fish waste is also a cause also it could not be a cycled tank.

My tank is 27° Celsius and my tank is crystal clear, just reduce lighting, get any decomposed plants and food out, or do no lights for 3-5 days.

Is this tank by a window?

Parameters for plant less should be
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5-20 nitrate
PH doesn't cause this and varies on fish species.

Lower your light cycle to 5 hours a day or do a full blackout 3-5 days , vac thoroughly to remove decomposing plant /fish waste, get a diatom filter, the 100% fix is uv sterilizer.

I think my main problem is I have too many fish in the tank. As soon as I take about 50 to my local aquarium shop, they just have about 40 more babies. I assume platies like to live in big communities but it's obviously having an effect on the water.

Back
Top Bottom