Green water after a trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
I've been away for 10 days in a business/pleasure trip and I left my daughter was in charge to feed the fish. She did a great job and all of them look good. When i left I was having problems with cloudy water, I tried everything you guys suggested but the water was still cloudy. I decided that a few days without a WC was not going to hurt my ultraclean aquarium so I told daughter not to do WC.

She didn't. The water was totally green, to the point I could hardly see the fish. I see them now that I did a 25% WC, but is still green.

I feel quite frustrated for not being able to keep the water clear. Any suggestions?

Also my gourami looks dirty now. I remember a post from "newhobbist" a few weeks ago with the same problem, could this colour change be related to the algae in the water?

Thank you all.

Your problem is too much light. Over 2 wpg without having a handle on nutrients or dosing CO2 and algae will out compete your plants.

Green water is caused by a single cell algae which multiplies very quickly. See if you can get your hands on a diatom filter. This is very effective at removing this type of algae.

Also my gourami looks dirty now. I remember a post from "newhobbist" a few weeks ago with the same problem, could this colour change be related to the algae in the water?
My fire-red gourami did look dirty, but then it cleared itself somehow. Then I bought golden gourami and it has got dark pattern on its body. My conclusion is that that dirty look is not permanent and does not harm fish.

BTW, my tank water is as green as yours. I've got some chemicals that are said to clean it, but first of all, instructions say that carbon should be removed from filtration, which is not possibly since I use Emperor 400 power filter with carbon inside their filter pads. Secondly, I have two crabs, which will not survive water treatment with this chemicals.

See if you can get your hands on a diatom filter. This is very effective at removing this type of algae.
I wander if you used it. If it really helps, I would buy one, but need more info about this type of filters (I've just posted new topic with this question).

Thank you guys. Does anybody have other suggestions. I checked the price of the diatom filters and I'm a little reluctant to buy one now.

It seems like everytime I have a problem with the aquarium I go and buy some expensive piece of equipment that ends up creating another problem... like the light fixture. When I bought it a couple of weeks ago, i was told that under 2.5 wpg I didn't need CO2... but it looks like in my particular setting something else has to happen for it to work... so now I'm looking at may be a new filter or may be a CO2 equipment... :?
Any other ideas?

I just want to be able to see my fish!!!!! My daughter has two tanks (10 and 20gal) with blue cray fish and minnows, she NEVER changes the water, doesn't have anything other than cheap filters and the water is crystal clear! :roll:

Hmmm. I feel for ya Big C. Lots of light without CO2 is like buying air conditioning for your car and not having tinted windows. You could try shortening the photo period and see if that helps. Or, get a single strip light until you decide on CO2 and filtration.

One thing's for sure. You aren't making any mistakes that haven't been made before. Even by me. :wink:

I added some Fluorish excel yesterday for the first time. I bought it before my trip but didn't want to start it... just in case... (teenaged daughters are only reliable to some extent... :lol: ). The water is better. I found my corys!!!!!!! But it is still cloudy/greenish and there are some brown spots on the glass and brown algae on some of my plants.

I'm thinking of doing a glass scrubbing and another 25%WC and then add some more Fluorish excel and leaf zone to compensate for the 25% loss. Suggestions, please.

Or, get a single strip light until you decide on CO2 and filtration.
Hey Brian, I just changed the strip light for the new one to get my plants going, and I was advised here that it would be fine without CO2 for the time being, as far as I keep it under 2.5 wpg. I'd rather try to make it work... but I'm investigating some more on that diatom filter. Thanks for the advice and the encouragement. I'm certainly learning a lot in the last few weeks with all the expert advice I'm getting in the forum. Stay tuned!!!! :)

Now I need to learn more about nutrient balance.... any thread in particular I should look into?

Thanks again!

oh well, im gonna buy some phosphate removing media to put in my sponge filter to hopefully cure my green water. and also some low light plants too.

I just got a phosphate test kit. Ran it twice, following all the instructions, got same reading both times= 0 - zero - nothing- nada! Can it be right? Or did I goof this one too? If so, is that good or bad? I mean if it is zero, guys!!!!! :lol:

Other parameters:
NO3=.20
NO2=0
NH3= .25
total hardness= 120
Alkalinity=100
pH=7.2

Now, with all this info, what can I do to get rid of murky/green water (It is better today!)

ooooh i just realized that i have about 1.7wpg and i have hardly any plants, CO2 or anything to take up excess nutrients. plus i prob got phosphates.

doh! no wonder i got green water

Hi guys,

I visited a new fish store last friday and bought there a new UV filter (9W - 50 gph) from a chinese manufacturer. The whole thing goes inside the tank. It's not too big so I could "hide it" behind the plants. And the price was right!

Well... the green water is GONE!!!!!! :multi:

Now the water is not crystal clear yet its a little "milky" but not much.

I cannot believe it, after all that time!. As a bonus, when I installed the UV filter, the air got disconnected from the stone and it makes large continuous bubbles on the side of the tank against the glass. Well, the diamond tetras are having a ball there, chasing the bubbles! They are so much fun to watch. The cories join them from time to time...

In the evening I turn the lights and the air off so they can rest for the night.

I'm thinking of putting the lights, air and UV filter on a timer. What do you think???

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom