Green water in cycled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FriscoTX

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have what appears to be a green algae in the water. I did a 50% PWC and replaced the filter. It's not completely clear and it appears to be slowly getting cloudier.

Any help?

Make sure the tank is not getting any direct or semi-direct sunlight.

Best choice for removal is some barley-straw extract or a bunch of live daphnia....the latter can become fish food.

you could try a black out, 3 days with no lights or feeding and completely covering the tank with blanket, this will kill all the algea, it won't hurt your fish though, or you could use seachem's purigen, it works great, I just used it on my tnak, but first we needa reading of your phophates, nitrates and nitrites :)

last time i looked (1 week ago)
ph 7.8
0 nitrite
.25 nitrate (or close to 0.00)

I need to recheck that though since i put the new filters in

How long has the tank been set up? Do you have any live plants? What is the ammonia? The reason I am asking these questions is cycled tanks should have more nitrate than you are showing.

The tank has been up for about 4 months. I do not have any plants. The ammonia was reading somewhere between 0 and 0.25 so close to being yellow that I'm guessing its more 0 than .25. The nitrate thing has been a puzzle to me, I'm not sure why I don't have more. When it cycled the Nitrite went up and then after a while it went down. The Nitrate has never budged.

I'll check it later this eve and give you exact stats

A chemical called Green X works wonders on too much algae. It is sold in Canada at every LFS. You place it in either the filter or under the gravel. If going with the filter option you should place it above the activated carbon. It works so well you dont even need a pleco. Be careful though if you do have one you will need to feed it.

I have had it happen in all 3 of my 10 gallon tanks now. Once they have been set up for 5-6 months I get blue green water and it last about a month and then goes away. Why it comes or goes, I don't know but nothing I have ever done has made it go away any faster.

Ok, just did water readings and they are as follows:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.8
Nitrate 0

Here's a picture of the tank

IMG_1767.JPG

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.8
Nitrate 0

That is odd,especially without live plants..Maybe take some to the fish store and have them test it when you have a chance...a bad test kit perhaps?Not sure what else it could be....

No nitrate is very interesting - I agree that you should get your LFS to test it - there may be a problem with your test kit. I'm with SCfatz on this - doesn't make sense.

I took a baggie of water to the LFS and their test showed .5 for Nitrate. This is interesting because I've never been able to get my test kit to work. I just tried it again and still zip on the Nitrate levels.

In any event, they recommended AquaClear for the cloudy water problem. I put a dose in and let it sit for 24 hours and no change. I also covered the tank for 3 days, but no luck. I'm tempted to do a 80% PWC or more, but wanted to run it by you guys first. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Ok - green is back. I did an 80% pwc about 5 days ago and the water is back to being that weird hazy colour of green. Is this a filter problem? I have the filter that came w/ the tank its worked well up to this point - I'm to the point of just taking the fish back and putting the tank on the curb.....grrrr

Back
Top Bottom