Green Water - Nitrate to blame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon tank shrimp that I have been cycling. I woke up this morning to a Green Water Algae Bloom. It is not really bad now. Do they get progressively worse?

It has been finished cycling (fishless) for 3 days, and I have been adding a drop or two of ammonia every day since then. It usually takes 1 day for the ammonia to drop back to zero. Nitrite stays at zero. The nitrates are really high, around 80. I was waiting until right before I got my shrimp to do the large water change.

I read that high nitrates could cause algae blooms. Do you think that is the problem? Should I do the large water change now? And then do another right before I get the shrimp?

Thanks!

a large water change would be a good thing. followed by a blackout. green water is usually caused by ammonia.

if the water change and blackout dont work you can use a uv sterilizer. that works awesome.

i've also heard of using willow branches somehow

How long are you leaving the lights on in the tank, is it near a natural light source?

Algae is caused by an imbalance of nutrients in the tank, not one general specific thing for all tanks. There is a high probablity that your nitrates are causing this bllom, and because it is green, to much light. Remember, lighting is a nutrient as well :).

Thanks all, I was doing a lot of re-planting the day before, I heard that might have something to do with it.

I did about a 90% water change two days ago, and rinsed out the filters with water from my 75 gallon tank. It was a little cloudy after the water change, but not green. Now it looks pretty clear. Do you think this thing will come back?

Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom