Grey Spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simoneack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi does anyone know what this grey spot is on my sons fancy goldfish? I asked a guy at the fish shop he wasn't really sure.. Said it could be a fungus or it might not be? It's grey but sort of fuzzy =s

Attachments

• image-2619152985.jpg
    image-2619152985.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2920054239.jpg
    image-2920054239.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 102
Hi! Can you provide with some more information? Tank size? Stocking? Water parameters? Diet? How long has he had this spot? If possible, can you get a clearer pic of it or provide some more info on it?

Looking at the pic, I would say that its not fungus though fungus may be growing off of it. Fungus has distinct white stringy/hairy looking patches or growths. From the pic, I cant tell if theres hairs growing off of it. The growth itself may be the result of a parasite issue or it may just be an abnormal growth that goldies do commonly get as the result of a virus. Viral issues are not treatable with meds but providing excellent water quality & a very healthy diet will help to keep his immune system strong to handle it. If there is a fungal aspect to this, it should be treated. Some more info will help! :)

It's a established tank, approx 90L... Ph is stable at 7.5.. GH- 120.. KH-120.. Nitrite- 0.. Nitrate is slightly pink on the test strip. (I've ordered a test kit online) so when that comes I could offer a more accurate reading, I'm not sure on how good these test strips are.. Stock 2 fancy Gold-fish.. They eat GoldFish flake food.. Once a week they have a small amount of bloodworms, as I feed these to my other fish.. And the aquarium has a heater so the temp is a contestant 22degrees .. I'm a clean freak.. So I do small frequent water changes twice a week, I just use a gravel vac and clean about 10% of the gravel water.. Ok so I'm not a fish expert.. We started off with these goldfish.. My partner has a large tropical tank.. He got a new job 8mths ago and flys away from home for a month at a time..
I'm left looking after the fish.. The tanks are super clean.. None of the fish have ever been sick, until now.. And if u think I'm doing something wrong please tell me! As for the photo, I will try for a clearer one .. Thanks =))

This the best I can do.. For a photo

Attachments

• image-468010676.jpg
    image-468010676.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1138202856.jpg
    image-1138202856.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2178630105.jpg
    image-2178630105.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 78
Hello simoneack,

Goldfish really don't need heaters, but I understand why you have one in the tank if you have other fish in there.

My guess is that the heater is close to some kind of object and the fish got caught between the two, leaving that burn-like spot on him.

David

It may or may not be a burn. Keep monitoring the fish to see if it gets better.

David

Its not a heater burn. Assuming you do not have an ammonia issue which can cause black spots (we do not know this), your fish most likely has a parasite issue. Its either flukes (which can cause black spots & cysts) or a rare parasite that only affects goldfish that I have only heard mention of but never have actually seen before. There is very little (if any) information on the second parasite and there is no accepted treatment for it. I would opt for a fluke treatment via gradually increasing the salinity to .1% and treating with praziquantel at a concentration of 5mg/l. Prazipro (by Hikari) is commonly sold in alot of countries but I do not know if praziquantel if a med available for sale in Aus without a prescription. It is sold in some countries as a cat & dog wormer.

In the meantime, I would def invest in a good liquid test kit that includes an ammonia test. Your ammonia levels would rule out any issues that can be directly related to the presence of ammonia. 90l is only a 23g tank so your tank really is overstocked with two goldies- they really need a 30-40g tank. I would definitely work on increasing your water changes as well. With messy goldies, 50+% a week would be the bare minimum for water changes but I would do this 2x a week because your tank is heavily stocked. Heres some more info on goldies and their care- please ask if you have any questions!!! :)

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Thanks .. I'm aware that gold fish are super messy and the tank isn't a good size for them.. They were In a larger tank but had to rehouse them in this tank. For a short time... I will treat with parasite stuff and keep up with the water changes see how he goes.. Yes I've purchased a
Master test kit online, as it was 50% cheaper then my fish store was selling them for .. Should arrive any day.. Thanks for your help =))

Just a quick update.. Turned out to be some sort of fungus.. With fungus treatment it's healing up nicely =)

Back
Top Bottom