gross film on water's surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arcticwolfe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my paludarium has been set up for almost a week now, and a couple days ago this gross film started forming on the surface of the water area. it's sometimes brown and sometimes clear until i scoop it out, then it's white. i haven't added any fish or plants yet. i have my filter pointed at the surface so it causes rippling plus a pump that i'm going to be using as a waterfall causing rippling on the other side ofthe tank. nothing helps. i've also had this problem in my 5 gallon betta tank. he ended up getting ich and fin rot a couple times until i put him in my 15 gallon where i haven't had any problems. if any one can help, it's greatly appreciated!

What you're describing sounds like what we call bio-film. Creating some added surface agitation will cure it. I had it once until I added some added surface agitation, then it went right away. If adding surface agitation is not an option, you can drag a dry paper towel over the surface and it will pull the majority of it off.

+1

Looking at your "My Tanks" link, you've got a fairly heavy bioload in the paladarium. Remember that you're not dealing with a full 10g of water, but most likely only 3-8g. You might have to do PWCs twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom