Growing Algae For Snail Snack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I assume that apple snails, the mystery variety, like algae as a snack. So, if I put some rocks in a bowl with the water from the tank in a sunny area with a pinch of fish food, would I grow some nice algae to put in the tank?

Like, take a rock covered in algae and put it in the tank? My snail loves the algae wafers, and I assume he would also like some real, actual algae.

Mystery snails aren't too big on eating algae. I'm guessing the reason that yours likes the wafers is because there is a lot more to them than just algae. There's nothing wrong with growing algae for your snail, and who knows, he might like it. Other foods for him would be shrimp pellets, other sinking pellets, veggies, etc.- there are lots of options. :)

Yeah. All he gets right now are the algae wafers, and he really likes them, but I want to give him a more varied diet. I'll try growing the algae and see if he likes the snack. If not, I can always grow the algae for my bristlenose. I'm sure he'd enjoy it, when I get him that is, lol.

Some stores sell algae balls ( I dont know the technical name).
these are cool cause they're cheap, they eat nitrates,keeps
algae from growing on the glass and its an almost infinite
food supply for your tank buddies. Check it out : )

But that's a plant, isn't it? That you need a proper light for? I don't really want a plant in this tank, because I don't really have good lights. I'd rather grow algae.

Technically its a plant yes, ( so is the algae on your glass )but they r small and hearty, I dont have any special lights for mine. Also my shrimps and snails started
breeding like crazy after I threw in there. Theres somthing about it that
they love. Im a noob to forums but if I take a pic of myself w my droid,
can I upload it from my album, without using a website ( like facebook )
?

I know algae is a plant. A nuisance in some cases, but a plant. Well, I just don't want to get one of those. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll keep those in mind. Wait... I think they're called Marimo balls. Am I right?

Okay. I found a bunch of rocks and washed them, did the vinegar test, and boiled them. Then I set them in a window that gets a lot of sun and sprinkled some fish food in there for phosphates. I hope it'll start to grow quickly!

It's where you pour vinegar on the rock. If it fizzes it's not safe for the aquarium. If it doesn't, it's probably okay.

My snails spend zero time on my marimo balls. If you do ever want one, however (shrimp love them) they will grow in any light, or just the room light for that matter. The Japanese grow them for good luck just in a glass with a little water. You just turn it every so often so the undersite doesn't brown. :)

Back
Top Bottom