Growing Daphnia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good Morning Fish peeps!

I have started to grow my own daphina for DPs and they love them! My question is, if i put them in the tank with DPs would the daphina be able to live off the natural matter in the tank (its stable, been up for about 4 months) or should i still add green water?

P.S. I know the Dwarfs will eat them but maybe ill get lucky and they will reproduce some before they all are lunch!

I think you would have better success running a few separate cultures:
1. The puffers and filter would reduce severely the number of daphnia in the tank.
2. The filter would remove most of the food that would sustain the daphnia
3. You would have constant supply of food
4. Provides insurance in case one of the cultures crash

Well about a week and 3 fat an happy dwarf puffers later and my science experiment of trying to create a happy community seems to not have worked surprisingly.

Was hoping this would work, I like it idea of them eating where there food grows, circle of life thing!

Still a couple of daphnia holding on strong though, so it might change now that the puffers are fat!

I would pull the few Daphnis out and breed them and then try again once you have a stable source of them because if you don't one shot and you won't have any more daphnia.

Back
Top Bottom