Growth on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anybody know what this growth is? I have scrubbed it off twice and it keeps coming back. It is on all three pieces in this tank. This is not new wood, it is many months old (unsure of exact age as it was given to me with the tank). If it is harmless is there something that will be happy to eat it (there is room in the tank, have not yet decided if I want to add a Pleco).

Attachments

• image-2498526375.jpg
    image-2498526375.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 172
Nothing?
I have searched the net for similar and come up with only the cottony stuff, which this isn't.

Sorry I can't help. I have 4 nice pieces of DW and will be following this for answers. I also googled and can't find anything other then that white fuzzy stuff. That clearly isn't.

I dont know.... It looks cool.... Do you have any plants in the tank?

GodFan said:
I dont know.... It looks cool.... Do you have any plants in the tank?
Yes, there are some plants. No, not cool, very ugly actually.

Convict2161 said:
Found this. Kinda looks like the beginning stage no?

http://www.aquariumsdownunder.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3373
That first pic MAY have some of this on it but it is hard to tell. As you can see, this stuff is not fuzzy at all, it is spiky. When I first got this tank it was all over the wood, nowhere else in the tank. I scrubbed it off before I set the tank back up then scrubbed it off again and it has come back. I would like to know what it is but I think I am going to pull out the wood and soak it in a bucket with some sort of fungus killer.

miran3773 said:
Do you know If the wood is aquarium specific? Treated not treated? Could be a reaction of some sort

No clue, as I said, it came with the tank. It looks to be your typical driftwood pieces that you can pick up at any LFS.
I am currently soaking it in a bucket of dechlorinated hot water with a double dose of Pimafix (just what I had on hand that said fungus treatment on the bottle). Maybe I will just scrap it and buy another couple of pieces if I decide on a Pleco.

lol I guess cool is in the eye of the beholder. It could be a plant in your tank doing it. To me it looks like plant growth. Do any of your plants have anything similar on it?

GodFan said:
lol I guess cool is in the eye of the beholder. It could be a plant in your tank doing it. To me it looks like plant growth. Do any of your plants have anything similar on it?

Nope. It was also present before I tore this tank down to move to my house. He had no real plants in it previously.

Thats wierd. Only thing I can think of then is the wood is growing a tree (lol) or some fungus ore mold from old food. WAIT! Do you have any egg laying fish or snails?!

GodFan said:
Thats wierd. Only thing I can think of then is the wood is growing a tree (lol) or some fungus ore mold from old food. WAIT! Do you have any egg laying fish or snails?!

Not growth of the wood itself, it comes off very easily. A good shake is enough to remove some. A soft brush takes it all off. Not eggs either, there was nothing in the tank previously except a single male JD.

It must be a fungus. I just find it odd that no one has seen it before and I can find no info on the net.

Back
Top Bottom