Growth on tank!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am in process of cycling a 10g tank, when I noticed little (very little) hairlike things growing on the glass of the tank. It is only growing in certain areas, and those areas are not like near the filter or heater. And they flow with the current of the water (while staying attached to the glass) and help would be much appreciated!

They are very.... Tiny... White things that flap in the current against the walls. They almost look like little pods. Is that diatoms? And should I leave the tank light off? And how can I get rid of it. Thanks

Personally I wouldn't run the light during the cycle, not sure it brings anything to the table. As for the things that are growing, if it were me I'd leave them to see if they clear up on their own but I'm not an expert on the topic :p My thinking though is that right now there's no fish in there to harm, if you see if it goes away on it's own you'll know that whatever triggered it has been corrected.

Just use either an old credit card or simply buy a scraper from your lfs. I bought 1 for $5 and worked like a charm.

Will that damage the BB on the walls of the tank? If there is any on the walls.

alex07 said:
What do you mean by damage?

I guess I mean like to take if off the walls. Will it just fall to the floor? (the BB). And not cause harm to the biofilter?

Once you scrape it off you wont see it anymore. It's not like when you scrape or wipe off the fuzzing looking thing from the glass and you see it floating everywhere.

alex07 said:
Once you scrape it off you wont see it anymore. It's not like when you scrape or wipe off the fuzzing looking thing from the glass and you see it floating everywhere.

Sorry if I sound dumb (I'm new to aquariums) but do you mean that when I scrape of the white fuzzy things off the wall, they will just float around until they land on something else? Or will I have to gather them and remove them from the tank.

The fuzzy stuff is hair algae, sometimes they grow on the glass

alex07 said:
The fuzzy stuff is hair algae, sometimes they grow on the glass

And I get rid of it by simply scraping it off the glass with an old credit card? Do I have to do anything besides that? Again, sorry for asking so many questions.

Yes, but beware sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds. Just continue scraping till it comes off, that is why i prefer a scraper over the credit card method.

Okay. I will go tomorrow to the LFS and buy a scraper. I was there today, should have bought one >.<

Just get the cheapest one, they all do the samething.

Back
Top Bottom