Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2003, 04:59 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
OKay here's another question for you puffer people out there. On another tank I made a light set up (DIY) that uses the lights of america fluorescent bulbs (mogul base fluorescent bulbs). They are pretty power, and I had to take it apart after getting my 45 gallon and leaving my 30 gallon at home waiting for it to be used by another friend. he isn;t going to use it for a planted tank and I thought it a waste. But anyway I took it apart and though hey... since I now have four of these bulbs.. and one unit apparently won't light... I was thinking of attaching one of the unites centrally in the middle of my soon DIY canopy that will be for the 45 gallon (the puffer's future home). The actual unit I would make stick out some in the back of the tank so if needed be it could be air cooled and semi away from water vapor, and have the bulb (pointed end) facing towards and on looker in the fron of the tank.. so the tank would be evenly lighted. This would prob help out the future ferns some... better than the 20 watt fluorescent bulb I have now. But I am worried that the puffer will hold up a sign in protest about it even with caves and shaded area provided by the ferns and driftwood ... what do you guys think? Thanks!

Old 11-06-2003, 06:49 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know nothing about lighting but I'm curious what kind of DIY canopy you built. Did you use plans found on a website?

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:59 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can.. its not that hard to build... then again it depends what you want from it.. I am just going for three sides.. front, left side, right side, and a top. The only thing is that I am going to make it sit a bit taller on the tank so the bulb isn't just 2 inches away from the water.. going for about 3.5 inches (it will have a cover on it, just not sure how or what to cover it)
Old 11-06-2003, 07:54 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah the last post brings in another question relating to the last one I posted... If the above lighting is a go (which I am not sure if puffers don't mind bright lights) how far should the bulb be from the water?... my bulb is about 9 inches long and about 2.5-3 inches in diameter... the ballast part of it (a mini ballast) will hang off the back away from the water. This would really benefit the java ferns. Thanks all

here is the link of my light that i want to use:

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/floods.htm
Old 11-06-2003, 08:08 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do you want to sit the bulb so high? If you're worried about condensation you could put pieces of glass or acrylic over the top of the tank.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:16 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking of encasing it.. maybe I'll just do that
Old 11-07-2003, 01:26 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
Use a glass top, you'll be fine. I've got two 48" shoplights hanging above my planted at about a height of 4" (which is a little high). I've had them much closer at about 2 1/2". I just raised them so the back one wouldn't be sitting on the filter. BTW if you're going to grow plants or use a constant flourescent light scrap the tetratec because if any light hits it algae will grow like crazy inside of it. If you can't avoid it, find some way to black out any light getting into the filter.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:15 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawson
If you can't avoid it, find some way to black out any light getting into the filter.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks :]

Old 11-08-2003, 02:40 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
It's b*tch to clean it out, I had a really bad case of black slime algae grow in my tetratec pf300.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just wondering how often you feed you puffers? i've got a figure 8, a GSP and a south american, all in 1.005sg salinity water. Some places have said feed them daily, while others say feed them to satiation 3 times a week. They have bloodworm, ghost shrimp ( the figure 8's a shrimp serial killer!), winkles(with shell) and i'm trying to get hold of whole cockles. i'm feeding in a rota style so that theres no boredom factor. What to you guys do?

Tags
gsp, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com