Guarami with Attitude???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blacklab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, not sure if I spelled it correctly but I have one large blue Guarami that is curently living with other fish. Algae eaters, baloon mollies, etc. Problem is I've tried adding new fish twice now, four in all, and the Guarami kills them. I mean really goes after them as soon as I place them in the tank. By morning their KIA.

Help!

[center:b231a0cae6] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, blacklab!! :n00b: [/center:b231a0cae6]
This is his personality, I'm afraid. What types of fish have you been adding?

Some male gouramis will not have anything to do with other gouramis, especially other males. I would not try to add any more gouramis as they will probably end up dead as well.

What size tank is this and what other fish currently reside their with your gourami?

30 gal tank. The fish I have are listed in my first post. Added to that I have a bunch of neon's and a sword tail. Funny thing is he leaves all the other fish alone.

Many fish will only attack con specifics. If it looks like the fish, it is competition. Same holds for bettas. You can have a betta in a community tank, as long as the other fish don't resemble bettas (and are not fin nippers).

Oh well. If I knew that I would have invited people over and placed bets. Just Kidding. :lol:

Thanks for the help everyone.

Yeah they tend to be a little pickey. My dwarf gourami is the same way, he has a little attitude! Ecept now my angels are bigger than him! He still tries to show off though! I have tried to keep other males and even a female with him but he won't have it! He wants to be the only gourami in the tank!

I would stop adding gouramis...:) Obviously, he feels that it is HIS tank, and he won't put up with any competition. If you wanted to add some fish that I think he wouldn't mess with, you could try yo-yo loaches. My gourami never bothers them, and the yo-yos won't mess with your other fish either.

Paul

This may not be too kosher, I had a female blue that did the same thing.I put her in my empty 5gal tank for a few days. Then I rearranged the decorations in the tank and put her back in=No more problems. :wink:

Kim

I had a gold gourami that Had to be removed from his community tank. Even though they're usually chill, sometimes males can be very territorial. To him, that tank probably has his name scribbled all over it by now. :roll:
I'd give him some space for a little while, it might help.
Good luck! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom