Guaramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a Pleco in a 10gal for 4 years and he did fine. It was just him and a goldfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We had a Pleco in a 10gal for 4 years and he did fine. It was just him and a goldfish.

Which likely stunted both his and the goldfishes growth. Their body stops growing but their internal organs dont resulting in many problems including a very early death.

There are exceptions. I own two male dwarf gouramis in an 18 gallon tank and they get along fine. One tries to assert his territory every now and again but only ever results in a short chase. There's no actual fighting. They also share a tank with neon and black tetra.

Lots of plants to hide through and things to keep them distracted works well

You could try rearranging all the tank decorations and introducing new plants etc. This will reset all the territories.

Then what can I put in a 10 gal tank. Anything? Will a beta be okay in there or is that too small of a tank also - because he is in a 3 gal now and doing just darn fine.

I know it sucks, but a 10g is a crappy size tank thats useful for almost nothing.

As for what can go in there. platies, male guppies, a single dwarf gourami or betta (not both), oto cats, pygmy corys, some tetras, some killifish, and some other fish that are very difficult to find.

The three have been adopted and the tank is cleaned with new rocks and filters and things. In a few days I'll move my beta.

Some pygmy corydoras or a nice schooling fish like celestial pearl danios, or maybe some shrimp, might go nicely with your betta :)

If I go with ghost shrimp, how many should I add with my beta?

If I go with ghost shrimp, how many should I add with my beta?

I would go with 4 and see how happy that makes you. They can tend to be territorial towards each other a little bit though. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen in my aquaria when I saw 2 ghost shrimp slapping each other with their spindly little arms :D

Then what can I put in a 10 gal tank. Anything? Will a beta be okay in there or is that too small of a tank also - because he is in a 3 gal now and doing just darn fine.

I'm surprised no one has suggested dwarf puffers/pea puffers. Check them out, they're awesome. If you do get them, make sure your tank is heavily planted and there are many things to break their line of sight. They're aggressive, but will do fine together if set up properly. I have a couple and I love them, very cute and very smart. They'll follow your finger around and each have their own personality. PM me if you have any questions.

Also, you may want to consider Amano shrimp over ghost shrimp if you don't go the pea puffer route, they're much more active and energetic.

Thanks!
I'm really excited about moving my beta to the bigger tank, I just want to make sure whatever goes in with him that they'll both be okay

Back
Top Bottom