Guessing game...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, last week I was in my lfs, as I seem to be there a lot these days...and I saw a brilliantly colored fish that had the same look to it as a blue ram. I didn't by the fish, because I was still "cycling" my tank, and it was before I had my 46 gal. Does anyone have any idea what type of fish this is. I didn't notice a name on the tank, as it was in with some glow-lights. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I would like to research this fish and possibly get one or two if it goes with my "community". Thanks in advance...

Tiff

May I assume that you are sure it is not a blue ram? If that is the case, and it was a bit larger, it could have been a blue acara. When they are small they somewhat resemble a blue ram. Just an idea, but I would have to see the fish.

It wasn't a blue ram. I would compare the coloration of the fish to that of the yellow tang of the SW world. I know right now it's just a guessing game, and I will probably never find the identity of this fish unless by chance the store still has it.

Nope...to all of those...but thanks for the suggestions. It was smaller like the blue rams, but VERY yellow.

Well, last idea. Try looking at Malawi Cichlids. There is one species (don't have time to look it up) in which the male is blue and black striped and the female orangy/yellow.

well, what does a gold ram look like? I have tried to come up with some pictures of it, but they all seem to be blue rams or bolivian rams. Do you have a link?

Finally found a decent picture of one... all the other ones I came across were too washed out to represent their true color.

goldram1.jpg

If this is what you saw, proceed with caution. These are very fragile fish! It seems as though they are primarily bred in Asia and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics so they survive the shipping overseas. I had two and both died within a week. :(

Its sad because they're beautiful. But unless you can confirm that they were bred domestically, I'd pass on them.

Right. Of course. I feel dumb!

Yeah, I wouldn't get them... When considering rams, you should only buy locally bred specimens. The Asian-bred ones usually die quite quickly...

Back
Top Bottom