Gunna try and make my own driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shnot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went out in the woods today to find a few pieces here's the pics let me know what you guys think and any advice is always appreciated :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 113
Make sure you boil it to leak out all the tannins and kill whatever might be present on it.

already started. and heres some more of the ones i found cig pack for a size reference

Attachments

• securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 114
  • securedownload (2).jpg
    securedownload (2).jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 112
  • securedownload (3).jpg
    securedownload (3).jpg
    142 KB · Views: 122
  • securedownload (4).jpg
    securedownload (4).jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 115
Oh wow good stuff. I tried doing this but my wife wouldn't let me put it in the tank. :( she likes all the pretty colors... -.-

all it cost me is a few mosquito bites haha

Oh wow good stuff. I tried doing this but my wife wouldn't let me put it in the tank. :( she likes all the pretty colors... -.-

yeah i convinced mine that the natural look can be as pretty as colorful plastics

She won't let me :( we're getting a big *** two piece castle for it soon.... Should be cool I guess. :/ but she's not tellin me how to run my SW! No sir!

Those pieces look to be fairly rotted. I wouldn't use them if you can puch your fingernail into the piece of wood and have it sink in. I would also remove all the bark that you can.

Nice looking pieces though. Especially the root piece.

Those pieces look to be fairly rotted. I wouldn't use them if you can puch your fingernail into the piece of wood and have it sink in. I would also remove all the bark that you can.

Nice looking pieces though. Especially the root piece.
Yeah some that I did find were like that but the ones pictured are all solid and I love the root piece as well

first piece in after two days of constant boiling

Attachments

• 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 83
  • 408.jpg
    408.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 91
Well I got a new trash can and put the pieces in and filled it with boiling water and let it soak for half the day then before bed I empty it and refill with new boiling water until the no longer float lol

Most driftwood doesn't really need to be boiled. It will help pull tannins out and I would highly suggest it with store bought mopani wood though.

heres some pics of the driftwood mostly finished still water logging the root oh and a few plants in there as well

Attachments

• securedownload (5).jpg
    securedownload (5).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 67
  • securedownload (6).jpg
    securedownload (6).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 69
  • securedownload (7).jpg
    securedownload (7).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 68
  • securedownload (8).jpg
    securedownload (8).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 72
Yes it is gunna get a few more plants maybe put some moss on The wood oh and put root tabs in as well

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405710806.752626.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405710829.354659.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405710849.391809.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405710895.163422.jpg progress on the tank drift wood complete fish in plants propagating and DHG doing good as we'll

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom