Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robcurry12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been thinking of getting a pair of guppies for my community tank. However I've been doing some research and it seems like even though they're touted as being very hardy fish they actually are not because of their constant breeding for color. What are your guys experience with guppies? Are they as hardy as their legacy says or have they gotten fragile over the years?

It depends. You just need to get healthy stock.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I've had great success with guppies! Hardy fish for sure. Inexpensive too if you're unlucky ;)

I have apparently not gotten healthy stock, as I've had little luck with guppies. I unfortunately got some from a couple of box stores, and that was my first mistake. I've had a few guppies over the years that lived a couple of years, but other than that, they were weak, fragile, and didn't last more than a few weeks or months. I personally find guppies to be pests to each other and sometimes other fish. Especially the males. Little horn dogs! I got tired of them relentlessly chasing, so I would locate them to another tank, where they would promptly begin chasing someone ELSE! You HAVE to have at least three females to every male. And if you have no females, the males (in many cases) will harass each other non-stop. That was very annoying to me, who loves a peaceful tank!

I've read that breeders in the Far East raise guppies in brackish water on diets of live food. The fish then have trouble adjusting to regular aquarium water and regular aquarium fare. Your best bet is to buy from a local breeder or someone on aquabid.com.

I've found that the Endler's Livebearers which I kept in the past were very hardy and fecund.

Back
Top Bottom