Guppies and betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

addisonnolann

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I purchased some guppies today for a spare tank I have. I then wondered if my betta fish Poe (who has never flared at his tank mates) would react well to them. The male guppy has a beautiful tail so I figured he would flare and react negatively. I floated the bag around and Poe swam right up to it and did nothing. I actually released the guppies and he ignored them. I guess I got the most mellow betta fish in the world, but I'm not complaining. I'm not keeping the guppies with him because I want fry, but I think it's very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I seem to get good luck and horrible luck. I've had three out of five male bettas who are fine with other male bettas, and two out of five that won't tolerate anything with them!

Fishobsessed7

I had a male betta that I caught eating one of my neons. Out he came. The one I have now hides all of the time in the plants.

I've switched from neon tetras to Glowlight tetras. They're much hardier and I have about 9 of them now. 5 are really tiny.

I had a betta named Sunshine due to the color and his personality. I kept him with 4 guppies and some black neons and he was great but unfortunately he passed away. I have a betta now named Dwarf because of his unusually short fins for a male who is in a community tank and has only been aggressive to a blood fin tetra after it attacked him.

I feel bad for mine. He doesn't swim around much at all. He's the kind that has really big fins on the top and bottom (1/2 moon?) and it seems to actually be difficult for him to swim.

There's another forum member who has successfully kept male bettas together as well as some other not usually recommended combinations of fish.

My betta lives with 6 green rasboras, doesn't bother them. There are also red rili shrimp that he occasionally stalks but doesn't attack.

They're all different....

My betta stays at the back of the tank and only come forward to eat. He likes to eat neon tetras. I've hade 5 or so die and he eats them once I turn off the filter to get them but he won't go near the live ones

Sent from peliper

I'm glad to know mine isn't the only one that is shy. He's just so pretty, I wish he'd come out and swim around more.

I have one betta who constantly swims all around the tank, and another who just chills. Sometimes in front sometimes in back. I've noticed they are much more active in larger tanks.

I have one betta who constantly swims all around the tank, and another who just chills. Sometimes in front sometimes in back. I've noticed they are much more active in larger tanks.

I have also noticed that they are more active I larger tanks.

Back
Top Bottom