guppies are crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

well, my guppy pair are in one tank together so the female gives birth about once a month. about 20 fry are in each "litter" and only about 4 live to grow to up. its "survival of the fitest" in action i guess. i am not an actual breeder but i want to know what i should do.
thanks

Yes that separation works great to get more guppies.. I have been letting my fancies and semifancies breed for years but I just let them all go at it together in a big community tank and the fastest fry win LOL

I still have an overflow of guppies every few months that I need to trade in 70+ every few months or so. :)

So either way you will eventaully have lots guppies. :D

I had bought some "feeder" guppies a few months back from one of the LFS and was hoping to get soe nice looking fish out of it....a week later I noticed about 8 small fry in my tank. I couldn't figure out for the LIFE of me where they came from, the guppies were tiny and my female molly was still titanic (plus the fry were too grey and not silver at all), so I decided to put the guppies and the new babies in a 2 gallon, when I noticed the next day MORE babies, that narrowed things down pretty quickly, so I started giving the fry to my sister's parrot fish.
Eventually I put all the still relatively small guppies in my sisters Cichlid tank, expecting them to be quickly killed. That was the week b4 spring started, and the guppies are all still alive, and the size of Fancies, all lacking color except one. However there have been no new fry in the tank, so I assume the Cichlids have been taking care of that........but the weird thing is that they never killed the ones that I put in from my tank.

Back
Top Bottom