guppies getting nipped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomfleet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi forum,
I'm a beginner. I have just a quick question about my guppies: 2 of my 3 male guppies seem to have lost bits of their tails lately. I don't think it's fin rot, it looks like trauma, like bites from other fish. There's even a slight red tinge along the edges which I assume is bleeding. In the tank, besides 5 guppys (including another male that's not been nipped so far), I've got 2 zebra danios, 2 neon tetras, a few platys, and 2 corys. The community had been just one lonely guppy (who is one of the one's now getting nipped) and these other fish for a couple of months; the nipping started when I introduced the other guppies recently. I can't catch the nipper in the act. But which would be your guess? the danios?

At the same time I find it odd that the other one of the three make guppies has been untouched, while they are all blue or blue/black tuxedos. As if the danio or whoever the culprit is has newly acquired a taste for guppy fin. Very much appreciate any tips in any case.

Guppy Tails

Greetings tomfleet and "welcome" to the Forum. The condition you describe is well known in the guppy hobby and can be disastrous to your guppies, although I have no idea how it might affect any tank mates. The only known cure is a Formalin 3 dip (NOT FORMALIN) - the instructions are on the bottle. I suggest you treat as quickly as possible. If not the tail will deteriorate and this is fatal to the fish. It's possible that your neon tetras are the culprit but I doubt it. Good luck! - Guppyman

oh no. that's bad

Thanks very much guppyman for your advice. Well, one of the guppies died 2 days later, which disappointed me enough that I didn't check back at this forum for a while--makes no sense, I know. The other guppy's tail wore away some more, but not much. I will be sure to try to get formalin 3 dip right away. I take it that this is not an easily contagious disease.... there are 3 other guppies in the tank that are still fine :? .... To complicate matters, the 2 females have been having babies this past week.

Again, thanks very much. :)

Guppies Getting Nipped

Hi tomfleet. Sorry about your guppy. These things happen.

I take it that this is not an easily contagious disease....

In reality, it is VERY contagious - however, I have had a tank wiped out on occasion, with a lone survivor. Don't let that fool you. Treat all the fish. The "dip" method is better than the "water treatment" method as described on the Formalin 3 bottle. I had one tank come down with this a few days ago and I sent a specimen to the Aquaculture Technology Center at our local college for a specific diagnosis of this malady. I will let you know what they report.

You should try to treat your water before the babies are born. They are very susceptible to this disease and usually show what is referred to as "clamping." Also their tails become very pointy. It's rare that they can be saved when this happens.

Good luck and I'm here if you need me. I apologize for taking so long to respond. Up to my eyeballs in guppy fry. - Guppyman

at a bit of a loss...

Hi Guppyman and thanks for your further advice. Bad luck for me. Formalin 3 is unavailable where I am, in Korea. There doesn't seem to be any other formaldehyde-based fish medicine either. There is however a powder with H2CO3 (rather than H2CO), it's called Sulfa Sultrin (similar to a Bayer product called Sulfa-Fish, which is out of stock). I'm treating the water with that. On the Korean aquarist website, the general consensus seems to be that there isn't a specific cure but I should quarantine, try adding salt, Bayer's Aqua-Oxorin (also out of stock), and a few other general-purpose measures. It figures that people wouldn't mention Formalin3 if it's never been sold here--I'll suggest it to people on that website and maybe the shop that runs the site will decide to stock it.

Luckily the disease in my tank seems to have been arrested with the one other guppy that showed the tail problem, but, from you've said, that could be just a lull instead of the Sulfa-Sultrin actually working. None of the 3 other guppies has shown sypmtoms...yet. Also, worse luck, the guppy fry started getting born last week. We don't have a separate tank, and use a breeder box, which is OK, but they're all exposed to the disease. Shoot.

Congratulations on your guppy fry, btw. I also checked out the pictures of your tanks getting set up, and am awed.

Formalin 3

Hi tomfleet.
Formalin 3 is unavailable where I am, in Korea. There doesn't seem to be any other formaldehyde-based fish medicine either.

You should at least be able to find pure formaldehyde through a local chemical supply company. PBA - this stuff is extremely lethal in all but the absolute smallest amounts. We're talking a drop or 2 - or even less per 10 gallons. You may need to make a solution, depending on the size of your tank. The good news - it works - big time.

We don't have a separate tank, and use a breeder box.

Surely you can get your hands on a gallon glass jar or a Rubbermaid type container. It is believed that fry can resist the disease, but carry the pathogen and spread it to other fish at a later date. I'm hoping that this past Saturday the Aquacululture Technology team at the college made their slide smears and will soon have a better diagnosis and treatment regimen for this illness. I promise to keep you posted on any information that I receive. These folks are very dedicated and will work hard to find the answer.

In the interim - do your water changes, treat as best you can and keep your fingers crossed. - Guppyman

Probably the plattys.But there is no telling for sure-Clueless and Fruitbat

I mean to answer the first question when I say this (see message above)

Back
Top Bottom