Guppies try to mate with everything- normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had only one guppy in my tank so I bought 2 more yesterday. Everyone gets along well, no fin nipping, no chasing. But my original guppy keeps trying to mate with one of the other guppies (also male). And now this morning, those two are trying to mate with one of my platys (also male) - he doesn't seem too bothered by it but it's just kind of weird. Is this normal behavior? Do I need to get them some girls?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, that sounds pretty normal for guppies. LOL. They will try to mate with anything. I have one that tries to mate with the cories in the tank all the time.

If you buy them some females, be prepared to deal with a ton of babies... plus, you'll need a couple females for each male or else they will be harassed nonstop.

I had two guppies like that. Sometimes they get so excited that they can't hold back. Adding females is a good idea but culling will be needed then.

Your Male Guppies

Hello Rinzy...

Your male Guppies are displaying or what I call practicing for the real thing if the opportunity presents itself. I have several large tanks of Fancy Guppies and the males are constantly working on their mating technique if you want to call it something. They'll practice with any other fish and even their own reflection in the glass.

I really don't think they're trying to mate with the other males, just showing off. The standard ratio of females to males is 3 to 1 and I would think about getting the females as soon as you can. Unless you don't want the fry about 28 days after you put the females in the tank. Most female Guppies you get will likely be pregnant already.

Just one observation from a Guppy keeper.

B

Back
Top Bottom