Guppies with betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cameron6796

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it a bad idea to put a 1 male and 2 females with a betta
My betta doesnt show aggression towards any of my other fish but they dont have long flamboyant tails

I have 5 male fancy guppies with 1 crown tail beta. They get along fine. Now I don't now About the female guppies cause I didn't want fry. So I stayed away from them.

Is it a bad idea to put a 1 male and 2 females with a betta
My betta doesnt show aggression towards any of my other fish but they dont have long flamboyant tails

I would say 9/10 it will end in death to one party. Probably your betta.

I would say 9/10 it will end in death to one party. Probably your betta.

I wouldn't say 9/10. Betas are actually really good community fish. It all depends on the personality of your beta and his tank mates

I wouldn't say 9/10. Betas are actually really good community fish. It all depends on the personality of your beta and his tank mates

Betta are terrible community fish in my opinion but I do acknowledge many betta do adapt well

Betta in community

I had a betta in a community tank:
Ripped face off Celestial pearl danio
killed a fry
took the tail of a Celestial
Took a HUGE chuck off my prized female guppy
Is going to be going to a new home hopefully this weekend. He was okay for 3 months, then ate, killed or tore into anything he could catch. He is very pretty, but once they are comfortable, they turn. I don't suggest putting them in with anything, I had him in a planted 29 gallon. Still managed to do a lot of damage. Unless its a bigger tank, with more hides, only then I would try again.

I used to have guppies with bettas, but the warning about this is that they will chase the baby guppies and possibly eat them.

There is a way to see how your beta will act with them. Get a vase that is taller then your water level. Put your beta in there. Let sit in there and observe him. Then leave for an hour or two go back and he how he is acting. If he seems calm put him in the tank. Then watch him while in the tank. Just keep a good watch on him and if you see a lot of aggression get him out of there and back to his own tank.

mine was okay for 3 months. Then decided he wanted the whole tank to himself. I made it happen with his own 5 gallon. :ermm:

It all depends on the beta. Every fish is different. Only one way to find out

Also depends on the size of the tank. Almost anything with a betta in close quarters will be an issue.

Try this:
Remove you're betta from the tank
Add in the guppies
Let them establish themselves in the tank
Wait about a week
Reintroduce the betta

I did this and my betta went from ruling the tank, nipping, and hogging food to a friendly betta who minds his business and is very happy. Good luck :)!

Back
Top Bottom