Guppy Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm back in the fish forums for some help with the recent additions to my tank.

Yesterday I bought 4 male fancy guppies for my 22 gal tank but they're all behaving a little oddly. They've been tending to just sit on the bottom of the tank or hover near the walls or behind the filter. They also seem a little paler than when I brought them home yesterday. All four seem to be healthy otherwise, but I feel like there might be something wrong.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425954899.994174.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425954883.705545.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Guppies these days are not the robust fish they used to be. I have had no luck with them at all. Some will last for months, and others for only days or weeks. They have been overbred, inbred, you name it. They are being bred for the best looking, longest tails and fantastic color, with no credence being given to health.

Are they breathing fast? Are they eating? Is your tank cycled?

I leave their light on for about 5 hours and they're all breathing normaly and eating and my tank has been fully cycled for over a year now. Yes, they were properly acclimated. Could it just be stress from being in a new tank?

No, there's also 3 other guppies, a clown pleco and 4 khuli loaches.

I hope this is not what happened to me, but a while back I purchased some guppies that did the same thing you are describing and they all died within days. They never looked sick, just sitting on the gravel or hiding behind the filter. I have no clue what did it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

To be honest, I've never had great luck with guppys. They are not bred all that properly.

I've had some great luck and some horrible luck with gups. I left home once due to a medical emergency with my wife who was visiting family 350 miles away and my hose lost power during the week I was gone. My uncle was checking on my fish but didnt know much about it so didnt realize my filter had kicked off. I came home to a tank so dingy I thought nothing had made it and in the murkiness I saw my orange sunshine guppy in there. I netted him treated him with some medicine and salt baths and hes still going strong and looks healthier than ever in a new bigger home :)! And then I bought a cobra guppy that swam into the glass until it died so like a lot of people have said they are a little hit or miss due to breeding standards. Too bad because they are so awesome and friendly when they're right.

I've had a guppy go through my filter once. It was a fully grown guppy and he came out without a scratch and I still have him. It's funny how hardy they are but yet the simplest things can kill them

Sent from peliper

I've had a guppy go through my filter once. It was a fully grown guppy and he came out without a scratch and I still have him. It's funny how hardy they are but yet the simplest things can kill them

Sent from peliper

I could not agree more!

Sent from peliper

Oh wow, thats one hardy little fish!

They all seem to be better now, all are out and about swimming around.

There's also 3 other guppies, a clown pleco and 4 khuli loaches.

If they start moping around again try adding some schooling fish. When mine where mopey I added some danios and they perked up in a hurry

Sent from peliper

If they start moping around again try adding some schooling fish. When mine where mopey I added some danios and they perked up in a hurry

Sent from peliper

LOL. Probably trying to get out of the way! Danios are crazy. I have danios with my guppies too, and the guppies are also quite active.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like they are just settling in, it can take a few days for them to feel comfortable. I just bought three females and they hid out unless they were freaking out about getting food, now they're in with the main horde lol.

Mine did this for 3 days then slowly started getting more active. Now its a beast. Give it time they may be in shock

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom