Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Guppy compatiblility and moving fish

I keep reading conflicting things.

I have a 29 gallon with mollies, platies, neon tetras, gold barbs and black longfin tetras. I also have a bunch of guppy fry and a male guppy in another tank. I know that the barbs and tetras will chow down on the guppy's fins. But if I rehome the barbs and tetras, can I combine guppies, platies and mollies along with the neons in the big tank?

And can I put 3 gold barbs and 3 black tetras in a 10 gallon tank, or would that be overstocked? I know these fish like to be in groups more than 3, but I don't want to buy any more fish. I also have an available five gallon. I want all the livebearers in one tank if possible. I have to move the barbs and tetras to move in the guppies and also to make room for some molly fry when they get bigger.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think moving the barbs and tetras would work fine. I think that would leave you with two fairly nicely stocked tanks. Get a betta or a dwarf puffer for the five and plant it.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, you can combine the guppys in with the mollies, platys, and neons. With the 10g, I just looked up gold barbs it says they can get up to 3 in. thats questionable in a 10g someone else could cover that, I wouldn't though. otherewise thats not overstocked.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had the gold barbs for three years and they are just a little under 2 inches long. They were less than half an inch when I got them, but had plenty of room to grow in the 29 gallon so I don't think they will be getting any bigger. The tetras are also a bit under 2 inches so I'd say its about 11 1/2 inches of fish total.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think with the fish you have and the space available it is your best option, not perfect but it will work.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's kind pushing the limits on the 1 in. per gallon rule but it'll work.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got neons, guppies, and platties in a community set up, and the neons only go after the guppy fry, and even that is very half-hearted. My tank is a peaceful little place, and it's only 21 US gallons.

Tags
guppy, moving, moving fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com