Guppy compatiblility and moving fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I keep reading conflicting things.

I have a 29 gallon with mollies, platies, neon tetras, gold barbs and black longfin tetras. I also have a bunch of guppy fry and a male guppy in another tank. I know that the barbs and tetras will chow down on the guppy's fins. But if I rehome the barbs and tetras, can I combine guppies, platies and mollies along with the neons in the big tank?

And can I put 3 gold barbs and 3 black tetras in a 10 gallon tank, or would that be overstocked? I know these fish like to be in groups more than 3, but I don't want to buy any more fish. I also have an available five gallon. I want all the livebearers in one tank if possible. I have to move the barbs and tetras to move in the guppies and also to make room for some molly fry when they get bigger.

I think moving the barbs and tetras would work fine. I think that would leave you with two fairly nicely stocked tanks. Get a betta or a dwarf puffer for the five and plant it.

Yes, you can combine the guppys in with the mollies, platys, and neons. With the 10g, I just looked up gold barbs it says they can get up to 3 in. thats questionable in a 10g someone else could cover that, I wouldn't though. otherewise thats not overstocked.

I've had the gold barbs for three years and they are just a little under 2 inches long. They were less than half an inch when I got them, but had plenty of room to grow in the 29 gallon so I don't think they will be getting any bigger. The tetras are also a bit under 2 inches so I'd say its about 11 1/2 inches of fish total.

I think with the fish you have and the space available it is your best option, not perfect but it will work.

I've got neons, guppies, and platties in a community set up, and the neons only go after the guppy fry, and even that is very half-hearted. My tank is a peaceful little place, and it's only 21 US gallons.

Back
Top Bottom