Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Guppy culling help

I've been breeding guppy but unfortunately I've run into a problem and that happens to be to many guppies. Unfortunately I have no local pet/fish stores that buy/take in fish, I have decided that I'm going to get a aggressive fish that will be happy to eat a few guppy every now and then. That's where I need help I have one problem I only have one 20 gallon tank for the fish and I need help finding a type of fish that will be happy to live in a 20 gallon tank preferably something that can live alone but I can settle with two if they fit and they need to be able to eat juvenile/adult guppies. Any suggestions will be taken into account.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How about some golden wonder killies? They are pretty and I've heard that they are pretty voracious when it comes to small fish.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jewel cichlids are small enough to fit in a 20 long and have a larger mouth for a fish their size. Plus, you get some color in them as they mature.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jewels grow too large, 4". The Gold Wonder Killies will work. You could also consider a native such as a sunfish of some sort. 1 would work and munching guppys isn't a problem. I'd suggest a Dollar Sunfish
Old 11-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningc View Post
Jewels grow too large, 4". The Gold Wonder Killies will work. You could also consider a native such as a sunfish of some sort. 1 would work and munching guppys isn't a problem. I'd suggest a Dollar Sunfish
Only problem with that is here in Ontario Canada you need a licence to keep any wild life and that includes fish, I was thinking of maybe just getting like one or two Rockbass from the pond not to far from my house but like i mentioned i would need a licence.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rock bass are going to get way too big :/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningc View Post
Jewels grow too large, 4".

A 4" fish is too large for a 24" or 30" long tank? I think not. They are commercially bred in 10 gal tanks which are only 20" long. It would fit fine in a 20 high.

Tags
guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com