Guppy experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read through both of those and there is absolutely nothing supporting it. Just 2 random individuals suggesting it in a forum just like this. This above quote is in its entire context and is an opinion not any sort of factual statement with evidence.
I don't mean this in a bad way, thanks for looking them up. There just isn't anything in those to support the theory either, just a few people inferring it. It would be neat to test. If done do it properly with the whole scientific method and we can put it up to a peer review here on aa, try to replicate it. I'm in, lol, but I digress. Getting off topic.

The only way we could give this a true scientific test is to have it done with no less than a dozen tanks with guppies all from the same clutch preferrably from a true breeding strain. Other than that there's too much genetic variability to determine whether or not the temperature truly makes a difference. I don't know many people that would be willing to do that.

The only way we could give this a true scientific test is to have it done with no less than a dozen tanks with guppies all from the same clutch preferrably from a true breeding strain. Other than that there's too much genetic variability to determine whether or not the temperature truly makes a difference. I don't know many people that would be willing to do that.

Agreed.
I may try to do it depending upon how any tanks I have left after the auction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each single person would be their own controlled group, they would count as an isolated group. Using 6-8 individual females from the same clutch then going through three or four clutches with each female, with half at 73° and the others at 78°.
Those same steps could be executed by others using other strains but as long as the same formula was followed you would have the same experiment. Genetics are a naturally occurring variable as well, but the main variable of temperature or say pH could be determined with the data present.

I know ph of about 6.9 and a temp of 80-85 results in majority female

Sent from peliper

I believe its more than that. I believe its genetically engineered in these fish to have a higher ratio of females. Look at their natural reproduction habits, a single male will mate with many females. Combined with the fact that they are live bearers and have a very quick gestation turn around its obvious this species is naturally well wired for self conservation. This requires more females than males to continue they're proliferation. I have no scientific evidence whatsoever to back up these statements, just my opinion.

I believe its more than that. I believe its genetically engineered in these fish to have a higher ratio of females. Look at their natural reproduction habits, a single male will mate with many females. Combined with the fact that they are live bearers and have a very quick gestation turn around its obvious this species is naturally well wired for self conservation. This requires more females than males to continue they're proliferation. I have no scientific evidence whatsoever to back up these statements, just my opinion.

I can see where you could get that but in a case like mine I have 4 female that can breed and 1 male overall and it's been 1 male for the last 3 or 4 groups so wouldn't you think there'd be more males by now?

Sent from peliper

I read through both of those and there is absolutely nothing supporting it. Just 2 random individuals suggesting it in a forum just like this. This above quote is in its entire context and is an opinion not any sort of factual statement with evidence.
I don't mean this in a bad way, thanks for looking them up. There just isn't anything in those to support the theory either, just a few people inferring it. It would be neat to test. If done do it properly with the whole scientific method and we can put it up to a peer review here on aa, try to replicate it. I'm in, lol, but I digress. Getting off topic.
yea, i agree, i found no solid evidence. just a lot of myth.

that is one way to do it
Each single person would be their own controlled group, they would count as an isolated group. Using 6-8 individual females from the same clutch then going through three or four clutches with each female, with half at 73° and the others at 78°.
Those same steps could be executed by others using other strains but as long as the same formula was followed you would have the same experiment. Genetics are a naturally occurring variable as well, but the main variable of temperature or say pH could be determined with the data present.

yes

i think we all reliy on opinion, i belive fact is opinion, it is the opinon that an persons opinion if fact. that is what fact is, how do we know what fact is, it is our opinion that facts are true. and i think to do this experament we would need
4 female guppys, and a male.
5 tanks for each fish(each tank would be different)
1 with high ph
1 with low ph
1 with high temp
1 with low temp
1 for male
and them we would need 4 large tanks divided into 4 parts.
one with low ph
1 with high ph
1 with low temp
1 with high temp
the system is that the fry would be broken into 4 parts and each group put into their own mart in each of the 4 tanks, then when we have fry from each group we could see what decides it. if it is what the babies are born in or they are raised in.

livefishguy124 said:
I think we all reliy on opinion, i belive fact is opinion, it is the opinon that an persons opinion if fact. that is what fact is, how do we know what fact is, it is our opinion that facts are true.

Uhhhh, what?

Facts on many things are defined as empirically tested reproducible data. Reproducible meaning that the same outcome will happen every time the experiment is reproduced.

Most of the time, these facts are gathered from scientific research papers which are completely bereft of any opinion if they are properly reviewed.

Ammonia being poisonous to fish is a fact.
Gold fish requiring a 30g or larger tank is opinion.

Uhhhh, what?

Facts on many things are defined as empirically tested reproducible data. Reproducible meaning that the same outcome will happen every time the experiment is reproduced.

Most of the time, these facts are gathered from scientific research papers which are completely bereft of any opinion if they are properly reviewed.

Ammonia being poisonous to fish is a fact.
Gold fish requiring a 30g or larger tank is opinion.

Agreed. There's a system called the scientific method
Steps
Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Communicate Your Results

Sent from peliper

Agreed. There's a system called the scientific method
Steps
Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Communicate Your Results

Sent from peliper

Also need peer review. this is something that's best suited for a laboratory in a controlled environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom