guppy fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legit Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have been having these guppies for about 3 months now and all of a sudden they just start popping up with tail fungus, crown fungus, and ich.... i have the ich under control but i don't know what to use to cure the fungus :ermm: I've stopped using api pima fix fungal remedy because it kills more fish than it actually cured..... so what other medications are good out there?

i have been having these guppies for about 3 months now and all of a sudden they just start popping up with tail fungus, crown fungus, and ich.... i have the ich under control but i don't know what to use to cure the fungus :ermm: I've stopped using api pima fix fungal remedy because it kills more fish than it actually cured..... so what other medications are good out there?

Thanks for the post! Pimafix I find needs to be well mixed, preferably in the pwc water to stop them getting a chemical cloud. For fungus I just get one of the fungus meds - malachite green, etc. Usually I swap to an all round med as ich is clearing to try and stop secondary infections. How did you treat for ich?

i treat ich with api super ich cure. this has been magnificent for years ever since i started using it! i have a question. for the fungus i used api fungus cure, i decided to give that a try, do you have experience or do you know if this is useful for fungus?

i treat ich with api super ich cure. this has been magnificent for years ever since i started using it! i have a question. for the fungus i used api fungus cure, i decided to give that a try, do you have experience or do you know if this is useful for fungus?

I've never used it directly. If I have it right, ich cure is MG and fungus cure is MG and acriflavine? I looked at the API safety data sheets. These I have used with success. Possibly with MB in there as well, will have to check tonight.

Sorry to ask the obvious question : have you tested the water? Fish don't usually get these symptoms for no reason, and the stress of being exposed to ammonia, nitrite and high nitrates can result in this kind of thing.

Also, I have found the best treatment for Ich is the heat treatment. No medication needed and very effective. I'll post a link to instructions if you are interested

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry to ask the obvious question : have you tested the water? Fish don't usually get these symptoms for no reason, and the stress of being exposed to ammonia, nitrite and high nitrates can result in this kind of thing.

Also, I have found the best treatment for Ich is the heat treatment. No medication needed and very effective. I'll post a link to instructions if you are interested

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

the water quality is perfect.... something is just picking on them or each other because i know one of my males tend to be very aggressive for some reason. then they get sores and fungus takes over or fin rot. and forgot to add that a few of the sick fish are brand new (2 weeks).

do you guys have any suggestions of meds that are sold in pet stores that really help with fungus? i just came from school today and one of the males has some sort of crown fungus goring in the gill section and around and looks like it has been picked on

do you guys have any suggestions of meds that are sold in pet stores that really help with fungus? i just came from school today and one of the males has some sort of crown fungus goring in the gill section and around and looks like it has been picked on

API fungus cure sounds fine. Anything that treats fungus really (except melafix or pimafix as they are hit and miss ). The ingredients if I got them right sound fine. Methylene blue is also useful but that can be more harsh on your nitrifying bacteria.

I'm a little intrigued now, when you say perfect would you have the readings? Including ph and temp. I had assumed you had secondary infections after ich but ongoing says there may be a concern.

My fish regularly get fin damage and heal up. It's only lately that I've been experimenting with dry ferts and one looks worse for wear.

API fungus cure sounds fine. Anything that treats fungus really (except melafix or pimafix as they are hit and miss ). The ingredients if I got them right sound fine. Methylene blue is also useful but that can be more harsh on your nitrifying bacteria.

I'm a little intrigued now, when you say perfect would you have the readings? Including ph and temp. I had assumed you had secondary infections after ich but ongoing says there may be a concern.

My fish regularly get fin damage and heal up. It's only lately that I've been experimenting with dry ferts and one looks worse for wear.

nitrates nitrites ammonia 0 temp is 81 ph 7.2

ich was not that serious. only a few fish had it and it was like 2 or 3 spots and now it is gone. it just sucks that every time i show up in the tank there is always another guppy or 2 that has just recently been beat up and later after that starts to become a big sore with fungus or for the tail fin rot!

Ok, no worries. I saw you worked at a pet store? Did they suggest anything there out if interest?

nope they always hire un experienced workers. so I'm do one that does most of the work cleaning feeding and naming the fish. but for some reason i was never that good at medicating fish, i can't tell if the ones I'm getting are good or I'm the one to blame (I'm pretty sure I'm the one to blame :()

Tough gig! Hard enough with your own tank I find. Something that dyes fungus say green and bacterial infection blue (and while I'm wishing parasites red) would be nice :)

Back
Top Bottom