guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lionheart

Aquarium Advice Activist
i aquired a few fish some 5 weeks ago from a mate who was gettin rid due to moving abroad
in amongst the batch was a few female n male guppies
anyway 2 days later i spotted a fry in bottom of tank hiding in the plants
so i netted it out and placed it in breeding trap
i went on to find 8 fry in total
they have been in the breeding trap now 5weeks
i am waiting on my other tank to cycle so i can put them in there own tank
anyway a week ago i noticed a female guppy was looking so fat and ready to burst
so i popped her into another breeding trap within 2 hours she was giving birth
11 fry survived i guess she had a snack or two
she is now back in main tank
so now i have 2 breeding traps 1 with 5 week old fry8 in total another with 4 day old fry in 11 in total
today i got home to find a adult male guppy in the breeding trap swimming with the 5 week old fry i counted them they were all still there so i guess they were to big for him to eat
they are around 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch approx in size feeding on crushed up flake and liquid fry food
my problem is i cant put them into main tank as there are a few predators which would easily swallow them gourami minnows stripped barbs tiger barbs to name a few
i cannot do nothing with them till my other tank completes cycle
how can i stop the other fish jumping into the breeding trap as this is only way the male guppy i found in with them today could of got in there
if they succeed in jumping into new born fry they will surely eat them
i was thinking netting of some sort around breeding trap but not sure how i good fix the net into place any idea's would be appreciated

female gups are supposedly sexually mature around 4-5 weeks.

I keep my fry in with the adults all the time, I just have enough rocks for them to hide down low in and tons of plants at the surface for them to hide in up there, also keeping the adult fish a bit overfed helps maintain fry numbers in a community setting.

what I would do is rid the tank of guppies completely, and get them in their own tank.
Im not sure on how to make your own fry net as I dont use them I used to use them and kept the lip of the breeder trap 1-2" above the water line so no one could jump in.

i was under the impression female guppies was sexually mature at 12 weeks/3 months i will have to do some research i got plenty of rocks little hides lots of plants yet i know for a fact i will lose the majority if i was to empty them into main tank
no going the overfeed route as that just causes more problems in the long run
and guppies will eat n eat n eat every time i go by tank they expect food
i cannot rid them into there own tank yet as there tank is not cycled yet that would be cruel
ive never seen a breeding trap with a lid or roof on it
mine has the partition so mother is up top and fry fall threw gaps/slits when born
but if i left partion in place thats not alot of room for them
i guess i will just have to buy a large aquarium fine net and cut it up wrap it round and tie it's end

LEE's ,makes a breeder box, called a 3 in 1, take the lid off, remove the guts, put lib back on. get em online.

Overfeeding hasnt posed many problems but then again I got tons of plants and bottom feeders that clean that mess up.

Get the white dye free ones.

I use nylon stockings for all sorts of things like that. They're cheap, like 1 dollar for two or three pairs. They make great filter media bags too.

Back
Top Bottom