Guppy Fry & Water Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ-Fishfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had my first batch of guppy fry three weeks ago today and managed to rescue 6 from their voracious baby eating momma who are now happily growing up in the breeder net within the main tank.
I have been testing the water as I haven't had the guts to do a PWC for fear of shocking the bubs and wiping out my first batch by making a stupid and possibly unnecessary move. So water is testing out fine, however, noticed my adults flashing against the rocks this morning.
I have kept the tank temp up and added dosed aquarium salt as I introduced a new female right before my first batch dropped who developed white spots the following day (but it went after three days with no obvious infection of the other guppys in the tank). BUT the substrate hasn't been syphoned in over a month.
:confused:So Question 1: do I go ahead with a series of small water changes or go for gold and syphon a 50% to get rid of any accumulation of the ichy dudes in the substrate and Question 2: is it advisable to maintain the tank temp at 84 for the foreseeable?
Thanks for any advice on either question!

Ok went with the 50% syphon, fry have made it through....lesson here, get on with it....ty x

For newbies (like me) searching on this thread....from newly learned experience...absolutely DO NOT cease siphoning gravel at any time, especially when you have fry...my water was testing out fine until I braved stirring up what was lurking in my gravel and I then had a serious nitrate problem...4 week old fry have survived a series of 25% water changes daily for the past week - had I left it even a day or so longer it would have wiped out my tank when I stirred it....we're talking toxic. Take advice already on the net and do PWC's daily with fry (10%?? - correct if I'm wrong please). Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom