guppy getting fresh with platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I bought 2 bumblebee platties and 1 guppy a few days ago....after I did a water change the other day one of my bumblebees died like 10 minutes afterwards....now the guppy keeps following the one platy around...its not being aggressive towards him but kinda looks like hes trying to give him a kiss on the lips almost....are all guppies playful like this?

What size tank? If it's small they could feel crowded. Also the guppy could be angry b/c it sees the platy as invading its territory. Keep an eye on it but if it gets worse you may need to rehome something. You could also try moving decor around, this disrupts territories.

librarygirl said:
What size tank? If it's small they could feel crowded. Also the guppy could be angry b/c it sees the platy as invading its territory. Keep an eye on it but if it gets worse you may need to rehome something. You could also try moving decor around, this disrupts territories.

Its a 10 gallon tank ....the guppy didn't bother the platties when there were 2 of them...

I've also got 4 neon tetras in the tank and the guppy doesn't bother them at all

Yes they're males...Idk...it seems harmless to me...no fin nipping or anything, sometimes they just swim together

It doesn't have to be violent its just a show of dominance, ya know the "I'm the biggest and baddest". As long as that is all they do then don't worry. Only worry if physical damage begins to happen.

Ok...the platy just kind of ignores him..its just weird that the guppy didn't do this when the other platy was in the tank

Well now it's just a one on one guy thing... lol! Seriously now that there is only one platy the guppy may be feeling secure enough to just want to show the platy he's the top male in the tank now.

I plan on replacing the bumblebee platy that I lost, will this change things up do you think?

It might but can't say for sure. Seems most fish have their own personalities and trying to second guess them is alittle hard. The guppy don't seem to be trying to hurt the platy so I really wouldn't worry. And he may settle back down once there are two platies again.

Back
Top Bottom