Guppy's hanging at the top.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@rtemis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! Thanks to this forum, I’ve had a healthy aquarium for many months…Until now.

I’ve noticed in the last couple of days, my guppies are hanging at the top level of my tank. I know I am overstocked for a 10 gallon tank and will bring some to the LFS for some credit.

So here’s my question: Are they hanging at the top because of the lack of oxygen or too much ammonia? I’ve noticed a slight increase in ammonia as you can see in my numbers.

Here are my numbers:

10 gallons
79 degrees
NH3/NH4 = .25
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0
Ph=7.6
High Ph=7.4

I have changed the ½ the water for the last couple of days. I lost a neon this morningL. I’ve removed the charcoal, added pima/melafix, raising the temp a bit at a time.

Thanks for the help!

@rt

Are they gasping? Was that ammonia number before or after the water change? Do you have an air pump running?

They don't look like they are gasping. The ammonia was 0 two days ago. Today it read .25

It seems your tank is not cycled at all. How do you clean it? What kind of filter maintenance do you do? Your numbers make no sense for an older tank. What kind of test kit do you use?

I was half thinking that a tank dweller might have died and not been found....if it were an established tank, that is.

I was half thinking that a tank dweller might have died and not been found....if it were an established tank, that is.

Seems like a good possibility considering its a small tank. Even then a well established tank could show no spike at all. I lost a pleco in my 29g once and never found it, but my params never reflected it. My 29g is a much larger water volume than what we are considering here though.

Your nitrate count is a little worrisome... an established tank should have some. Might want to check the expiration date/lot # on the reagent bottle or retest.

Did you recently replace the filter media?

It could be one or both. Elevated Ammonia levels will damage the gills making it hard to breathe.

Hey all,

After bluerose's comment, I decided to recheck the levels. They are fine now. The bottles were reversed. Expanation below.

NH3/NH4 = 0
NO2= 0
NO3 = 10

Two days ago, I let my daughter check the levels and everything was normal when she helped me. When we were done, she reversed the bottles when she put them back in the case. It's routine with me and I never check the labels because I put the bottles back in the order I use them. She reversed the nitrate bottles giving me a bad reading :rolleyes: (Note to self, Check bottles after daughter decides to be a chemist for a day.)

The young guppies are looking fine now swimming through out the whole tank. The older females are still hanging around the top. In observing, I think they're are trying to stay away from the young fry's who are trying to mate with all the females.

To anwer some of the questions. I have 15 fish...Yes, I know it's overstocked for a 10 gallon tank. I am doing several PWC a week just to keep the ammonia down until I give the LFS some of the fish.

Thanks all,

@rt

Those readings sound much nicer! Although its not suggested, you can get by with a heavily stocked tank as long as you stay on top of your water changes. My 29gal tank is overstocked, but I keep up on 50% water chances very regularly. I also overfilter my tanks quite a bit as well.

My friend has a 55 with 8 corys, 1 rainbow shark, 1 pleco, 8 glowlights. 4 black neons and 3 rummys i believe and he has about 8 guppys in there and they all swim right at the top most of the time. It might just be what those fish prefer.

Lager, oops...you must have missed my answer to you in a previous reply on the first page. To answer, they are not gasping or breathing hard...I think they are ok.

Thanks for th replies!

@rt

guppies swimming at the top is normal. as for your dead fish that could be from stress. to reduce the stress dont change thhe water so often. 30% of the water a week is good.

Those readings sound much nicer! Although its not suggested, you can get by with a heavily stocked tank as long as you stay on top of your water changes. My 29gal tank is overstocked, but I keep up on 50% water chances very regularly. I also overfilter my tanks quite a bit as well.

I agree, however how long do you think overstocked fish will last in a tank if the power goes out? winter is here so that is a very probable event.. at least in my neck of the woods

And guppies are all over the tankers but tend to rest at the top i think i would be more worried if they were resting on the bottom!

When I lost a guppy, it was after she'd been on the bottom and breathing hard.

Too many PWCs cause stress? I'd thought too many wasn't possible?

I think if you were changing 90%/day (without an underlying reason, IE medicines, no filtration) you might be doing too much in the PWC department... but if the water has the same pH/temp you really should be ok with frequent WCs.

Too many PWCs cause stress? I'd thought too many wasn't possible?

As long as the temperature and water parameters match, then no a PWC should not stress your fish. If you haven't done a PWC in months, then you have to start off slowly because the water parameters are going to be vastely different.

I agree, however how long do you think overstocked fish will last in a tank if the power goes out? winter is here so that is a very probable event.. at least in my neck of the woods

And guppies are all over the tankers but tend to rest at the top i think i would be more worried if they were resting on the bottom!

Power goes out due to poor weather every now and then here in the hills. I haven't had any troubles to be honest. Your water parameters won't change drastically in a short time unless you are working with a fairly small water volume(think < 10g).

Back
Top Bottom