Guys, I am already losing faith in Aquariums....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinaldo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I can't find a single fish store with pure cichlids, no dwarfs anywhere, nothing. Every fish store here has saltwater tanks galore stocked with hundreds of salt water fish.

I asked the nicest fish store here (where they charge 12 dollars for an angel fish that petsupermarket charges 1.49 for) Asked him if he'd heard of Shell dweller cichlids,said no !!! Said he'd special order me anything I wanted but I'm nto about to pay 40 or 50 for a fish the guy doesn't even know how to take care of .

How do I get involved in a local fish club here in fort lauderdale? I would love to breed pure cichlids, not expensive ones, just pretty ones that might get along in a community tank like the shell dwellers and the dwarfs.Trade fish , trade tips and tricks etc. Even supply stores !
Help someone that's really really motivated but can't figure out where to go for things he needs.

That's pretty sad. I have a similar problem with finding keyhold cichlids here in NY, and we have literally hundreds of LFS's.

You can try a google search of aquarium clubs in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

I have yet to find a decent FW LFS in south florida. Every place down here (other than the big pet stores) carry for the most part, Saltwater fish. Im pretty much going online for the more rarer fishes.

It's almost sad. To get any decent Cichlids nowadays, you have to go online to get them from stores online or from breeders. If you do find a store that has them, they are mostly of the assorted kind and are pretty big. I find that it is just easier to find a breeder online and get them from them.

but the shippings gonna kill ya :( aquabid usually has some good deals. but then again, shippings around 20-40$ unless ya find a free shipping one

Just a remark........shell dwellers are not good community fish from what I've heard. They become very agressive when breeding and will attack anything in the tank, even if it's 3 times their size. They can be vicious beasties! :p
On the other hand, if you would do a species only tank with the shell dwellers, you shouldn't have too much trouble breeding them. Only thing is to find a place to sell them all. Better that then having to ship 50 fish individually, right? :lol:

I have the same situation here, and there are hardly any cichlids I will buy from a LFS because you can't be sure what you are getting and I have been burned before with an incorrect ID. However, even the chain stores get kribensis, convicts, yellow labs and (usually ocellatus) shelldwellers from time to time.

Try doing a search here for a local aquarium club: http://aquariums.meetup.com/

You might want to take a look at the Big Al's that just opened up here in Lauderdale. They've a good selection of stuff and are still adding more. There's also a decent Pet supermarket just south of 595, I forget the address on that one, it's a bit south for me.

I have to admit I haven't been looking to see how many cichlids they have, prefer community fish myself, but both those stores have a good size selection of what seemed healthy fish.

Those of us in Fort Lauderdale, Miami , south florida should get together. Kkyrmir do you mind if I add you to my aim list?

I got a nice pet supermarket near me and another on university near 595, I think I knwo the one you'r etalking about. THey both sell ciclids for 1.99 each. Africans, Yellow ones and bright blue ones. THey're about an inch and a half 2 inches but they are all mixed and who knows how big one might get. Also they sell Zebra Danios 5/99 cents. Can't go wrong with their prices. But I've yet to see Kribs or Any specific Cichlid breed labeled other than Convicts and Oscars. THey sell their oscars for $1.99 too.

If we started a small group of us that could butt heads and start finding stores that'll order fish for us, or that will buy our fry we'd prob be much happier.
Let me know. My AIM is ABCRINALDO.

Rinaldo

Feel free to add me to aim, I'll have to add you when I get home myself. If you happen to know a good place to find some Anachris or Java moss in the area it'd be a great help. The shipping prices for online stuff is brutal.

LOL, not unless you want to execute your fish. Try www.bigalsusa.com, that's thier website. Honestly the site doesn't do them justice. They only put supplies and equipment up on the web page. You have to go to the store to see the fish, and the HUGE shark tank they have set up. It's like a trip to SeaWorld, bring the kids. :)

wow, that looks like a nice store...

It's about an hour drive from here tho, but definately worth checking out.

Even if it's too far to be lugging a new fish in the heat down here, the place is worth checking out. First fish store I've seen that has a freshwater stingray and hammerhead sharks swimming around. Aside from the show pieces they do have decent prices and they price match other stores.

What keeps buggin me is they're still getting the store up and running, they have a real nice plant display tank thingymajig that's been sitting in the dark because they haven't gotten it lighted yet. And other than them, finding aquarium plants around here is gonna involve a wet suit and a snorkel.

Skyrmir said:
Even if it's too far to be lugging a new fish in the heat down here, the place is worth checking out. First fish store I've seen that has a freshwater stingray and hammerhead sharks swimming around. Aside from the show pieces they do have decent prices and they price match other stores.

What keeps buggin me is they're still getting the store up and running, they have a real nice plant display tank thingymajig that's been sitting in the dark because they haven't gotten it lighted yet. And other than them, finding aquarium plants around here is gonna involve a wet suit and a snorkel.

do they have plenty of rainbow and corys? Im having a hard time finding those down here.

do they have plenty of rainbow and corys? Im having a hard time finding those down here.

I think they had some, but was looking for particular fish when I went in so didn't really notice them.

Back
Top Bottom