gymnotus tigre and protopterus annectens care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lung Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need care info on both the gymnotus tigre (Tiger Knifefish) and the protopterus annectens annectens (west african lungfish).And, are they compatable?

I don't think they could live together simply because the lung fish is larger and more predatory. Knifefish are a bit more shy and wouldn't do well with a lung fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do not have any care information on the lungfish. I keep ropefish (also called reedfish, and scientific name Erpetoichthys calabaricus). They are an African fish which possess lungs and must breathe surface air. They are considered as part of the Birchir family. I can tell you all about their care if interested.

From the information I have gathered in searching both the tiger knifefish and the west african lungfish, there are certainly NOT comparable. The Tiger reaches 11 inches as an adult and the Lung fish can reach a couple feet. Therefore:
1. It seems that at some point your Tiger will become a meal.
2. You have to have a 120+ gallon tank for your lung fish to accommodate size over the next couple years. (I don't know what size tank you have.)

I don't know what has attracted you to the Lung Fish, but I encourage you to look into the African ropefish, because as I was looking up the lung fish I did notice there are many similarities.

As far as basic care info, which seemed similar to Ropefish. Except that ropefish like 78 to 80 degrees temp and Lung Fish are 72 - 76 degrees, both species are fairly hardy to most water conditions since they breathe surface air. Both will eat appropriate sized feeder fish, crickets, earth worms, and sinking pellets.
I do not know the social aspect of the lung fish; however, the ropefish require 3 or more to be kept together.

Knifefish are skittish while lungfish are bolder and wouldn't hesitate to eat a potential meal. If you like the knifefish, fish like peacock eels or African butterfly fish would be good tank mates. The lungfish would probably do best alone.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well,i do not have a 120, i have a 55 (the lungfish is going to be 8-10 inches when purchased).I will be getting one when the lungfish reaches 15-20.Also, the lungfish will be kept with an ID Shark,rope fish and possibly a butter catfish (Ompok bimaculatus) (it gets 18-20 inches).

Last edited:
As far as basic care info, which seemed similar to Ropefish. Except that ropefish like 78 to 80 degrees temp and Lung Fish are 72 - 76 degrees, both species are fairly hardy to most water conditions since they breathe surface air. Both will eat appropriate sized feeder fish, crickets, earth worms, and sinking pellets.
I do not know the social aspect of the lung fish; however, the ropefish require 3 or more to be kept together.
As far as i know, Lung Fish are VERY territorial.

ID shark:4 feet 100 pounds Rope fish:36 inches Lungfish:36 inches.

Ok, but i need basic care info.

If your intentions are to keep these so they thrive, why only seek for "basic" care ?

Well,i do not have a 120, i have a 55 (the lungfish is going to be 8-10 inches when purchased).I will be getting one when the lungfish reaches 15-20.Also, the lungfish will be kept with an ID Shark,rope fish and possibly a butter catfish (Ompok bimaculatus) (it gets 18-20 inches).

Those are great expectations but quite honestly, it doesn't always work out that way. It is nice to dream.

ID shark:4 feet 100 pounds Rope fish:36 inches Lungfish:36 inches.

While those are under the most optimal (in the wild) conditions, none of those will do well in a 6' tank. Together or alone for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

ID Sharks should not be in the pet trade IMHO.

Via Wiki which I agree with:

Juvenile iridescent sharks are often sold as pets for home aquariums. However, they are not easy fish to keep, and are not recommended for home aquariums.

Iridescent sharks are schooling fish that prefer to be kept in groups of five or more.

Accustomed to living in rivers, they are very active fish that require a lot of space. They have very poor eyesight, so any foreign movement they detect outside of their habitat, they will see as an utter threat. If stressed, their first instinct is to flee, and such a blind dash can result in injuries, especially in an aquarium environment. These flights may be terminated by the fish sinking to the bottom, where it may lie on its side or back until it recovers.

Many fish owners are unaware of the enormous size an iridescent shark can reach and also that they have a very harsh bite. If given enough room and fed adequately, an individual of this species can reach 1 m (3 feet) in length. In most home aquariums, the amount of space an iridescent shark has severely stunts its growth. For this reason, most iridescent sharks kept in home aquaria grow to only 15 to 30 cm (6 to 12 inches) in length and die prematurely from organ failure.

As a rule of thumb, an iridescent shark requires a minimum tank size of 12 m (40 feet) to develop naturally and live a long, healthy life. Schools require even larger tanks. When provided with adequate sized aquaria and proper husbandry, an iridescent shark may live well into its teens and grow to full size.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ID Sharks should not be in the pet trade IMHO.

Via Wiki which I agree with:

Juvenile iridescent sharks are often sold as pets for home aquariums. However, they are not easy fish to keep, and are not recommended for home aquariums.

Iridescent sharks are schooling fish that prefer to be kept in groups of five or more.

Accustomed to living in rivers, they are very active fish that require a lot of space. They have very poor eyesight, so any foreign movement they detect outside of their habitat, they will see as an utter threat. If stressed, their first instinct is to flee, and such a blind dash can result in injuries, especially in an aquarium environment. These flights may be terminated by the fish sinking to the bottom, where it may lie on its side or back until it recovers.

Many fish owners are unaware of the enormous size an iridescent shark can reach and also that they have a very harsh bite. If given enough room and fed adequately, an individual of this species can reach 1 m (3 feet) in length. In most home aquariums, the amount of space an iridescent shark has severely stunts its growth. For this reason, most iridescent sharks kept in home aquaria grow to only 15 to 30 cm (6 to 12 inches) in length and die prematurely from organ failure.

As a rule of thumb, an iridescent shark requires a minimum tank size of 12 m (40 feet) to develop naturally and live a long, healthy life. Schools require even larger tanks. When provided with adequate sized aquaria and proper husbandry, an iridescent shark may live well into its teens and grow to full size.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with this 100% ID Sharks have no place in home aquaria.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will be moving my ID into a POND once he gets past 2 feet.

I will be moving my ID into a POND once he gets past 2 feet.

I'd do it sooner honestly, you wouldn't want any worries of stunting. But I'm glad you have a plan for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom