Had a snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gohabs9

Aquarium Advice Regular
does this stuff work?
does it harm fish?
any other alternate methods for eliminating completely unwanted snails?
there are a number of guppies, a dozen neons, and a pleco in the tank.

I would manually remove as many as you can by putting a piece of lettuce in the tank. Overnight they should attach themselves. In the morning pull out the lettuce. Keep doing this until most are gone. Decrease the amount of food you are feeding.

Snails won't always climb right onto the lettuce, so sometimes people like to put the lettuce in jars. Then you can pull a whole jar out with snails inside.

Had a snail is copper based medicine. If you have any plants it will kill them. It is also extremely hard on some fish's systems. Manual removal of the snails is the best.

I know clown loaches and yo yo loaches will eat them... I don't know much more than that about them, to be honest.

Convicts will also eat snails as will other cichlids. I have a few snails in my 75g but I've never had anything close to the tank being overrun. I would estimate the population in there at a dozen at most and that's probably a very, very high estimate. I'm not sure if the kribs or the BN pleco keep them in check.

Back
Top Bottom