Had to kill my Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yup like the title says "I had to kill my Tetra". Had now choice. I had three Red Minor Tetras and two Peppered Cory cats in a 10 gallon tank. They were doing fine the first few days but i noticed one of the Tetras wasn't eating much. The others would chase the food but he wouldn't try. Tuesday one was dead. My water levels where fine so i figured it was the one that wouldn't eat. During feeding time i noticed the last two would chase each other around. Today one was dying couldn't swim the lower part of his fin was gone. Nothing i could do so i had to kill it. The Ammonia levels went up to .5, guess it was the dying one that rose it? and now the last one is pale. Don't know if it was from the stress of fighting or the stress of exposure to the Ammonia? Got home late so didn't know how long it was like that? Planning on taking him back if i can. Cause know he might pick on the Cory's since that's all that's left.

Since my last Tetra is pale is there anything i can do to make him feel better? Do they only belong in larger schools? My two cories may be two much for 10 gallon is there any other fish or invert that i could possibly put in with them? Did my Ammonia rise cause of the dying Tetra? I don't want to replacing fish? :( and please dont think negative of me. I'm still learning.

Hey we all gotta learn. Did you cycle your tank? That is very important. Also red minors may be a little to big for a 10 gallon. I would recommend taking them back and getting a smaller fish instead (neon tetras, ember tetras, I can suggest more if you want). Most important thing right now is whether you cycled or not.

All cories do better with schools. At least 3 is needed 6 is much much better. I would recommend getting a 20 gallon to start out. Then you could stock 6 peppered cories, 6 red minors, and 3 otocinclus. You could possibly have even more fish than that depending on what you want.

tomasm87 said:
Does the one inch of fish per gallon rule really matter?

This "saying" should be thrown out the window besides being totally incorrect that "saying" don't even factor in aggression and many other issues it's so general and not specific enough for a hobby where "the little things" literally mean life and death.

It wasn't a dying tetra that raised your level of ammonia in the tank, any more than any other fish that was still alive at the time. All fish, whether living or dead, produce ammonia.

Paytertot im on my 7th day of "Fish in" Cycling. I wouldn't thank that it is yet? Yesterday was the first day i was able to read an Ammonia rise. So i did a 40% PWC twice and added PRIME each time(2 hours between changes). To get it down. Today my remaining fish are fine and my ammonia is fine aswell.

I hate fish in cycling....you have to have ammonia to produce nitrites, you have to have nitrites to produce nitrates. And you have to have nitrates to get rid of the ammonia. And having ammonia and nitrites in your tank while you have fish in the tank is very bad for the fish. And it lengthens the cycling time too. Fishless cycling takes 1 to 2 weeks, fish in cycling take 4 to 6 weeks.

Steelhawke said:
I hate fish in cycling....you have to have ammonia to produce nitrites, you have to have nitrites to produce nitrates. And you have to have nitrates to get rid of the ammonia. And having ammonia and nitrites in your tank while you have fish in the tank is very bad for the fish. And it lengthens the cycling time too. Fishless cycling takes 1 to 2 weeks, fish in cycling take 4 to 6 weeks.

Not at all true IMO if you are starting from scratch on both counts.

To the OP I have a new "rule" (really a guideline) that I would be happy to share if you PM me. Fish in cycling is my favourite method but do yourself a favor and research it (Jetajockey posted a guide to it). I did not and I wish I had. The inch per gallon rule does not work because one 2 inch guppy produces roughly as much waste as 2 or 3 2 inch tetras. All fish are different.

nitrates dont get rid of ammonia.... ?? and it isn't bad as long as you keep it no higher than .25ppm. AND my fishless cycle has taken 6 weeks now. so. lol. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom