Had to replace that old 29....sad?? Nope..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How high should I aim to keep them? Would.it be detrimental to keep them real short? 1- 1.5"..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tbh? I'm anticipating a serious carpet.. the light above it is pretty intense and I may upgrade to led which would inevitably require co2 which would result in having to buy 12 roses and drop $200 on dinner... fun never ends:D

Tbh? I'm anticipating a serious carpet.. the light above it is pretty intense and I may upgrade to led which would inevitably require co2 which would result in having to buy 12 roses and drop $200 on dinner... fun never ends:D

You must be itching to go high tech and the extra challenge though?

If I had one tank? It'd be high tech months ago.. i just don't know if I can keep up with the demand.. i work 6-7 days a week, usually 9 hrs a day.. if anything I'll throw a diy setup on my 20 tall.. but yes I really do, someday, want a tank like yours with the DHG carpet..

Even if you do not upgrade the lights right away, adding CO2, whether it is pressurized or DIY will help with plant growth. I did DIY for 8 months and finally went to the dark side. It's not as expensive as you think. And much simpler once you get it setup.

If I had one tank? It'd be high tech months ago.. i just don't know if I can keep up with the demand.. i work 6-7 days a week, usually 9 hrs a day.. if anything I'll throw a diy setup on my 20 tall.. but yes I really do, someday, want a tank like yours with the DHG carpet..

Oh, I forgot about the MTS. I only have two tanks and one is very low tech low maintenance.

I dont think its as much work as you think mate.

Lights on a timer - no work

Co2 on a timer - no work

Daily dose ferts - 5 mins maybe

Feeding - 5 mins

Cleaning - 30mins throughout week

Water change - like normal. 60 mins

Trimming - 60 mins throughout week

I really dont think theres too much there.

Tbh there is a lot of testing until you find what works for your tank though

Even if you do not upgrade the lights right away, adding CO2, whether it is pressurized or DIY will help with plant growth. I did DIY for 8 months and finally went to the dark side. It's not as expensive as you think. And much simpler once you get it setup.

Diy on a 30 would work? Yea the mts.. once I sell the fry it will only be 3 tanks and one is pretty low maintanence...

I dont think its as much work as you think mate.

Lights on a timer - no work

Co2 on a timer - no work

Daily dose ferts - 5 mins maybe

Feeding - 5 mins

Cleaning - 30mins throughout week

Water change - like normal. 60 mins

Trimming - 60 mins throughout week

I really dont think theres too much there.

Tbh there is a lot of testing until you find what works for your tank though

Basically where I'm at now minus the 60 min trimming..that could be the straw that breaks my gf ' back though haha

5.5 fry growout (temporary) 10 gal blackwater apisto panduro, 20 tall heavily planted wildcaught ram community and the new 30 ofcourse. Can't wait to take down the fry tank..

Diy on a 30 would work? Yea the mts.. once I sell the fry it will only be 3 tanks and one is pretty low maintanence...

It won't hurt. I had great results on a 20g. I directed the bubbles into the hob intake on a second filter on the tank. I chose not to use a diffuser because I am impatient (takes too long for the pressure to built up). The hob would churn up the bubbles and some bubbles would enter back into the tank and others would get trapped in the filter (increasing the contact time). I ran a two bottle system and changed out one bottle each week. Maybe 10-15 min prep time per week. You can vary the recipe as needed. You just don't get the control and consistency that you get with pressurized. But it worked for me.

It won't hurt. I had great results on a 20g. I directed the bubbles into the hob intake on a second filter on the tank. I chose not to use a diffuser because I am impatient (takes too long for the pressure to built up). The hob would churn up the bubbles and some bubbles would enter back into the tank and others would get trapped in the filter (increasing the contact time). I ran a two bottle system and changed out one bottle each week. Maybe 10-15 min prep time per week. You can vary the recipe as needed. You just don't get the control and consistency that you get with pressurized. But it worked for me.

Cool! So no media in the filter? Just a mixing station so to speak??

I think I just may... being that it's diy I'd just let it run all night? No real way to shut it off??

I think I just may... being that it's diy I'd just let it run all night? No real way to shut it off??

I run DIY co2 and DIY root tabs. I use a cheap $4 glass diffuser from eBay. It runs all the time and fish, shrimp, and snails don't mind. Every once in a while I'll add an air stone at night to provide more oxygen.

I run DIY co2 and DIY root tabs. I use a cheap $4 glass diffuser from eBay. It runs all the time and fish, shrimp, and snails don't mind. Every once in a while I'll add an air stone at night to provide more oxygen.

In your 29? Care to elaborate on setup? I'm just trying to get an idea of its effectiveness on tanks larger than 15/20 gallons?

In your 29? Care to elaborate on setup? I'm just trying to get an idea of its effectiveness on tanks larger than 15/20 gallons?

Of course I can. I use the coveted sugar and yeast method. I've used this recipe for a long time, but modified it a bit for what I think is a better mix. http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/diy-co2-recipe-duration-vs-intensity.html?m=1.

About to eat breakfast then will post pics of my set up.

Back
Top Bottom