Had to rethink stocking:/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was going to stock my 15 gallon with Ember Tetras and Pygmy Cories but my LFS doesn't stock either.
So now I'm thinking 11 Green Neon Rasboras (already have 5) and some Killifish as centrepiece. My LFS stocks Norman's Lampeye and Clown Killifish. Are either of these any good? If so how many of each? I'm hoping only one or two as I want them to be the centrepiece fish.
Another thing is bottom dwellers. As you can tell I'm stocking with nano fish but my LFS doesn't have ANY nano bottom dwellers. I'm thinking of just getting a Bristlenose Pleco instead.

They have Kuhli Loaches. Would they be any good?So:
11 x Green Neon Rasbora,
1-3 x Lampeye/Clown Killifish,
1 x Bristlenose Pleco,
1 x Nerite Snail
5 x Red Cherry Shrimp.

Any suggestions welcome! :D

Have never kept lampeyes or clown killifish, but did some investigating when I was looking into stocking my 17g. I believe that they are happier in schools of at least 5 or so, if I recall correctly. But like I said, this is not from experience but from stuff I read, so I could be wrong.

Did you mean green neon tetras? I've never heard of green neon rasboras.

Sounds like a good start to a really cool looking tank, in any case.

You also might want to rethink the red cherry shrimp. You might wake up one day and they will be gone, as many fish like to eat these little guys. Being bright red really gives them no place to hide, either.

I have heard the same thing as kindafishy about those particular killis, but I do not have experience with them.
I do not recommend a bnp in a tank that size. IMO, they are too big/messy. Also, the nerite will eat algae and not produce nearly the same messy as the pleco. You could always get 2 nerites, or you could get a pair of otos.
What is the footprint of the tank? That helps determine if kuhlis would be ok.

It's 24 inches long by 12 inches wide. I have fine gravel as a substrate.

I was thinking that about the RCS too but the fish I'm planning are so small that a full grown RCS would be about the same size as them! Haha.

I'll do some research on the Killifish. :)

That is enough space for a few kuhlis if you want them.
Otherwise, you could get a few panda corys IMO. Maybe juliis.
If you want to be able to try rcs, I suggest testing it out with ghosties first. Some fish will constantly peck at shrimp, even some tiny fish. If the tank is really well planted, that helps the life expectancy of the shrimp. Even nano fish will eat shrimplets, but again, a planted tank improves their odds. :)

Hey Dan :) Will you look up pseudepiplathys annulatus and see if it's the same clown killie that you are speaking of? If so, that should be a fine choice, as would lamp eye's. I would get atleast a trio, and keep the ratio 1M:2F. They may eat your shrimp. It's hard to say. Killies in general aren't shrimp safe, but these guys may be small enough.

I agree that kuhli's will work. I'd go with a group of 5. Or 6 panda cories would be good too.

Hi Erin :) yes they're the ones! Good news. I'll probably go with Lampeye's though because they're about half the price. ;) so far the stocking is then:

11 Green Neon Rasboras,
3 Norman's Lampeye Killifish,
5 Kuhli Loaches,
5 Red Cherry Shrimp,
1 Zebra Nerite Snail.

sound okay? :D

That looks great. I am glad siva knew about the killis. :)
I still suggest you test the fish with some ghost shrimp because they are cheaper than rcs, in case the fish just end up eating them. :)
Put up pics when you get some of the fish if you can.

Good o! :)

As for testing with ghost shrimp, my LFS only carries RCS and Amano's so I'll see which will be cheaper and if it's RCS, I'll go straight for them. If it's Amano, I'll test with them first. Aren't Amano's a lot bigger than RCS though? Ah, well, who says I can't get 5 of each?! ;)

Thanks for your help you two! :D

Back
Top Bottom