Hagen 55 Gallon Tank Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Experience with Hagen?

• Hagen is great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hagen is not as good as....

• Hagen Doz IceCream?

• My Hagen leaked...

• Total voters

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any experiences good or bad with Hagen Tanks would be appreciated. I came across a 55 that matches what I want to set up. It looks all good. Just thought I would double check with the AA gang....

Hopefully I found my big tank with this one. But it could be another run with moose and his "I'm hexed 60 gallon stuff"

Hahaha. Oops. Moose is a guy? Didn't know that. I certainly remember the "I'm hexed thread!"

I didn't know Hagen made tanks... IMO, Hagen makes some good stuff (Fluvals) and some less god stuff (Aquaclear filters). If there's one thing I've learned in this biz so far, it's that you can't blindly trust one company to do everything right. So, Hagen... when it comes to ice cream (Haagen) unequivocal statement of "yes," when it comes to aquarium supplies, sometimes a good bet.

What is their kit, anyway? What filter etc does it include? Could you send us a link or a description? I can't find anything after a cursory look on Google. Careful on the filter... they could take advantage on that...

P.S. I agree with Toirtis that you can almost certainly put together a kit for cheaper by shipping at www.bigalsonline.com. And you're in Canada, too! IMO, no reason to go with kits at all....

I love the aqua clear. I find that Hagen makes great products. I have 2 of their smaller tanks. But I agree on kits. They are generally good for the inexperienced but when you have more knowledge often you end up wanting better filtration and definatley better lighting.

madasafish said:
P.S. I agree with Toirtis that you can almost certainly put together a kit for cheaper by shipping at www.bigalsonline.com. And you're in Canada, too! IMO, no reason to go with kits at all....

Unforturnately, having stores in Canada, BigAl charges full retail in CAnada. Prices, adjusted for exchange, are quite a bit more in their Canadian Web site compared to US ... Sigh , why can't they give locals a break?

However, if you have a BigAl's warehouse in town, you can find some good deals on tanks. I have an eye on a 75 gal for $180 (Can), the 55 gal is about $145. This is about half the price of the Hagen kit, & you can pick better components & still come up ahead.

Also agree that some Haugen stuff is terrible. I had an Elite airpump by Hagen that is so noisy, I can't stand it. Also the heater in the Haugen Kit I saw was not submersible & the cheapest possible.

The kit in question is just stand / tank / lid w/ crap lights a fluval 304 and a bunch of instore fish credits..

I've yet to make it to the big als to have a look.

After the big long threaded journey with madasafish I picked up a emperor 400 and a VISI-THERM 300 WATT HEATER (both were on sale...)

Next on my list is tank / stand / lid/lights....

madasafish if you recall i was having a tough time finding a "real" 55...

Guess I'll just have to find a personal shopper.. I have the feeling I haven't hit the "good" lfs when it comes to hardware..... I have to find time to go visit two that were recommend by a friend.

Right. The "real" 55 conundrum. I remember. Glad to see you've found this one... Also glad to hear you got the Emperor (nice!) and Visi-Therm.

((There's a guy in NYC who may sell Emperor 400s cheap, so I've emailed him to see how cheap... exciting!))

Actually Toirtis even mentioned some good stores in my area. I just haven't got around to doing a road trip. I saw the 55 kit and thought it was a pretty good deal.. Only thing I didn't know much of the brand as far as tank quality goes.

Toirtis if you see any good deals when you are out and a bout and you don't mind... pass them on to me I would totally appreciate. The space that I am putting the tank in isn't quite ready yet so I am still in planning / shopping mode.

Just have the filter and heater so far.....

Obviously there is a ton of tank options in my area Toirtis has 34 so he has had no prob finding good set ups. I must just be acting like Dora from Finding Nemo when I go into the store.... :)

Visi-Therm is a good brand, I use them in all my tanks except the Betta Tank [ Ironicly enough, the Betta tank is the only tank with temputure fluctuations. :p. Curse you Top Fin PetSmart brand cheapie HOB Heater!! ]

Hey Madasafish Moose's dream question of the day:

1 55 Gallon
or
2 37's Gallon Set up's

Back
Top Bottom