hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i think i may have hair algae, i have tiny little hairs on the inside of the tank and now there starting to grow on my plants. my tank is only a few weeks old thing it came in on my moss. what should i do

Your Hair Algae Problem

Hello tm...

If a tank stays up and running long enough, it will develope algae. It's natural and not really a bad thing if controlled. The best thing I think you can do to control it is plant more plants. Algae thrives on excess nutrients in the water. If you plant some stem plants that get the bulk of their food from the water, then they will compete with the algae for the available food. I have Water Wisteria, Ludwigia, Rotala and Pennywort in some of my tanks and have no algae problems.

You can also dose a little of Seachem's Flourish Excel. It has a trace of carbon called "Gluteraldehyde". This carbon fert is good for most of the complex tropicals, but is toxic to algae. You need to be careful dosing it and follow the directions. Ferns, mosses and some varieties of Vallisneria are also very sensative to this carbon fert.

B

Your plants will not have any nutrients either then. Algae grows better than plants in a poor growth environment.

Algae Problem

i have seachem npk Seachem. Plant Pack: Enhancer, NPK

should i not use ferts so the algae doesnt have enough nutrients?

Good morning tm...

I'm not familiar with that SeaChem product. I'd get a bottle of the Flourish Excel and dose that according to instructions. If you have the plants I listed earlier, then dose half the recommended and see how that affects the algae. You can also control algae with regular and large water changes, up to 50 percent every couple of weeks.

B

Back
Top Bottom