Hair Algae and the fish that love them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samwise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read that American Flagfish and SAE can help with Hair Algae control. My question is, how aggressive are these fish toward other tank mates. I've got neon tetras and freshwater bunnies (guppies), all in a 29/30 gal.

Thanx in advance.

Sam

SAE's aren't too bad. I'd only put 2-3 in a tank that small though, as they do get about 4" as adults.

My American Flag-fish are peaceful, and reside with white clouds, cardinal tetras and Endler's livebearer (adults and fry) without any problems. I have heard reports of them being nippy, but my 3 are not. They are extremely tough fish and are robust for their size, just under 2", so they will add more to the bioload than other fish the same length.

BTW, they are excellent hair algae eaters unless they get too interested in flake.

Steve, use the search and searh posts by TankGirl. It was either in this forum or else general FW forum that she posted some nice pics of one of her males and females as well as a before and after algae shot :D
HTH
-Stewie

Edit: I'm really not sure if it was TankGirl or lmw80 who posted the pics but just search it up, i remember seeing it within the past month or so. Maybe someone else can post the link.

I recently read in Tropical Fish Hobbyist that Rosy Barbs eat hair algae also. So, I went out and purchased 2 ... I've only had them a few days, but will let you know whether they are getting the job done.

Also, they haven't bothered any of the other fish in my tank, which I was originally worried about since barbs are known nippers.

Twasn't me that posted pics, but they really do a marvelous job.

Rosy barbs are indeed good hair algae eaters also, as are your basic black molly.

oooh...that was me that posted pics, but they were blurry. I recently got a great picture of my 3 female flagfish: (males are more colorful and you see them in the links posted above)

Attachments

• 20_gallon_019.jpg
    20_gallon_019.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 85
flagfish are killifish right?

where'd you get them? I can't find anything like them around my area.

yes, flagfish are killifish (although they were first thought to be a cichlid)

I asked my lfs to order them for me and they did. I don't know if they know a local breeder, but I do know they are native to florida and maybe one or two other places.

I noticed that, when I took the two big flagfish out of my 125G, hair algae started to appear. Now this is sort of strange because I also have a couple of large SAE's and a bunch of algae-loving African cichlids in that tank. Within days of moving them back into the 125G the hair algae had disappeared. They are without a doubt the most hair-algae-loving fish I've ever kept. They just love the stuff. And if you keep them with African cichlids they are extremely docile :wink:

I had hair algae in my tank, that was awful. It's rooted itself in the gravel all over my plants. I just ended up taking all my plants out, washing them off and am trying to get all the algae off my gravel. I don't have any algae eaters except for a few snails and they just can't keep up. My tank is almost spotless now. What can a 20 gallon tank handle when it comes to SAE or other kinds.

:morning:

I picked up an American-flag fish at a LFS today. Unfortunately they only had one but she started grazing as soon as I introduced her into the tank.

Try to find more. They are, by nature, a schooling fish, and do best when kept together. They will wait at the top with your other fish when feeding time comes, but tend to graze on the floating detritus that the greedy fish don't consume. Please get it a companion, they tend to waste away without others of their own kind :)

Yeah, I wanted more and plan on heading back midweek or giving them a call to see when they will get some more. So far so good but then it only has been a couple days so not a good indication. She readily eats flake food but really has done a number on a few "problem" areas in the tank. For some reason she has choosen to school with the harlequins when she isn't grazing on the driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom