Hair algae maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I have black hair algae or something of the sort. Whatever it is, it sure is fuzzy. It's in the newly set up 55. I used old gravel that belonged to the previous owner of the 55's equipment only to discover hair algae? too late. What eats algae? I have loaches (( And sword plants )) in there so snails are a no go for now, though I am debating on giving the loaches away. Thoughts?

A BN pleco will clean up most kinds of algae, though some types of hair algae aren't on their menu. I have a 29 with a female who keeps the glass and rocks spotless, but there's some sort of hair algae established on some plastic plants that has to be removed manually. Over the course of a couple weeks, it grows about 12", waving in the current from a powerhead.

I believe that SAEs love the hair algae, but you should really try to get to the source of what's causing the algae and eliminate it.

Is the algae growing in small little tufts that you cannot remove with your fingers? If so, you may have BBA. It will take a lot of work to get rid of. Fish don't particularly eat this type of algae.

Back
Top Bottom