hair algae problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkprincess

Aquarium Advice Activist
My sister has a freshwater tank and has a rampant hair algae issue. What are the best fish or inverts for this situation? It's a 55 gal. With a dojo, black tetras angels and fancy guppies. She also has a few ghost shrimp

Hair Algae Question

My sister has a freshwater tank and has a rampant hair algae issue. What are the best fish or inverts for this situation? It's a 55 gal. With a dojo, black tetras angels and fancy guppies. She also has a few ghost shrimp

Hello dark...

This type of algae may be unsightly, but is really a good addition to your fishes' diet. But, if you'd rather get rid of it, then large, weekly water changes of at least half the tank volume will remove added nutrients. You can also decrease the time the tank lights are on.

Adding "Ramshorn" snails is also helpful. These little brown, black and sometimes red shelled guys will eat most forms of algae. I got some these a few years ago and now, I have no visible algae in any of my tanks. I've included a pic of one of the tanks.

B

Your tank is also heavily populated as hers is not. I'm trying to get her to let me tear it down and make it a SW tank!

Back
Top Bottom