Hair algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano320

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is coming down with hair algea, is there anyway to get rid of it or even keep control of it?? Tank is planted with a gravel substrate! Light is on for 8 hours a day using a timer!!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Turn lighting down is the first thing. Second, I would personally tell you to use algaefix but some don't swear by it like I do. If you do decide to use it, you can get it at basically any pet/fish store.

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

I had hair algae growing all over the hornwort that I tethered to the top of my tank. It would only grow near the top, where the lighting is intense (my lighting is a rather weak 17 W T8 bulb). I got sick of it and tossed the hornwort. The hair algae then stopped growing. About two weeks ago, I introduced hornwort to the tank again and I've seen no signs of hair algae yet.

Based on my limited experience, it seems that low lighting might work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

When my tank was new and still settling down I had some hair grass algae. I treated it with Excel (Glut), squirting the Excel onto the algae using a pipette. Turning off the filters for a few minutes helps to ensure the Excel is not immediately washed away. The algae needed several treatments but died within a week and has not returned. At this time I was also drastically increasing my planting which I believe helped to stop the algae returning. I take the point about lighting but I didn't reduce my lighting, which is on 12 hours a day and I've had no algae for a year. Once algae is dealt with its just a case of getting the tank balance right.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom