Hair-like things??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemo6292

Aquarium Advice Activist
So. As some of y'all know I've been asking slot of questions... But I suppose this is what this sites about... Anyways, I've noticed that I have little hair-like things growing off my plants which are fake plants. One is really big. And I'm sure they was not there when I put them in the tank. My tank is in the cycling phase now. Anyone know what these might be?? Bacteria??

Pics would help but it is more than likely some type of algae. Do you have your lights on while you are cycling? If so how long do you keep them on for?

I leave them off through the day. But I turn them on at night just long enough to do a water change and look at the 3 zebra danios that's in there. Maybe 1-2 hours out of the day. These things are white and too small to take a pic of.

If it is algae beginning to form. What should I do?? I've heard ppl talking about an algae "outbreak" and it sounds like a pretty big issue. Any thoughts on what I should do if it is algae?

Is it something I should worry bout?? I'm thinking of getting a uv bulb, not sure if they are uv or not, I know for sure they are blue bulbs. Would that effect it??

We really do need pictures to give you any useful advice. That being said, the blue bulbs are not in the UV spectrum unless labeled such, and will not help the situation if this is an algae problem.

What about the stuff they make to go into the water for algae. I'm not saying that's what it is yet, just for future references, will the algae stuff work???

Nemo6292 said:
What about the stuff they make to go into the water for algae. I'm not saying that's what it is yet, just for future references, will the algae stuff work???

The algae stuff does work but treating with chemicals is not the way to go that is a short cut that will lead to tank failure later down the road. Find and treat the problem not the symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom