hair on driftwood...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

So I've seen posts saying that this is natural, but I dont think I have seen too many explanations of what it is. A piece of store bought driftwood which has been in my tank for a month and a half has gotten a growth... mold, algae, something. Pic below. My tank is currently re-cycling after a med treatment. Was curious what this stuff actually is, what triggers it, what can I do to get rid? Have had it for about a week now, and it seems to be getting bigger instead of it going away "relatively quickly" like most posts seem to say it does.

thanks!!!

Attachments

• DSC01560.jpg
    DSC01560.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 78
It is a fungus that is in the wood. It feeds on something in the wood not sure what. Once the food supplies go it goes. Some fish will eat the stuff.

Did you boil the wood before adding it to your tank?

i would take it out and boil it again....

Yeeeeeaaaahh... see thats another reason I wish I had found this place before I started the aquarium using the book I have as a reference. blah...

I'll pull it to boil tonight... good chance to clean things up anyways... How long should i let it go for?

Thanks!!

Jason

Boiling a half hour would be fine. Mostly to be sure that the innermost part of the wood gets hot enough; 5 minutes in boiling water will kill anything on the exterior.

Back
Top Bottom