Halfbeaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ickletas

Aquarium Advice Freak
My lfs has some red stripe halfbeaks (Hemirhaphodon kapuensis) in stock and they look super cool. Have spent about an hour trying to find some halfway decent info on the internet but all I'm coming up with is scientific papers (that might as well be in Greek for all I understand of them) and links to other types of halfbeaks. Does anyone have any experience of these at all?

Good morning Ick...

Don't keep this particular livebearer, but do keep Fancy Guppies, also livebearers and can tell you a little about this fish.

They do best with live foods, particularly Tubifex worms. They're topfeeders, so any live insects you can get is good. I'd go as far as to dig around in the back yard and get earthworms and cut them up into very small pieces and feed those too.

These fish like a moderately planted tank and like floating plants too. Halfbeaks like the water a little warmer than most livebearers, a constant temp of 79 degrees is best.

Livebearers come from somewhat "brackish" water, so add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt for every five gallons of your water change water. If breeding these fish is in your plans, the best ratio is three females for every male.

Please let me know if you need any other info.

B

Went back and spoke the the lfs guy and walked out with 3 :) he keeps them himself and they are his own stock so good times! I'll see how those do and if they're fine I'll go back next week and make them up to 6 :)

Back
Top Bottom