Hammers Blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will need to make sure there is no way for him to get out of the tank as the lobster can climb and will.

I am not sure but I think the lobster (once large enough) will try to eat the platies and possibly succeed. Hopefully others with more knowledge on this will answer here.

yep. i've had a few crayfish work their way out...lol

it sucks waking up in the morning to discover the "lobster" you bought the night before is now dead as a doornail...lol

Blue lobsters are going to eat plants, if you have them, guaranteed. Also, in a small tank like a 20 they will likely eat the other fish that they can get to. If you had a 95 or a 120 the lobster might work out, but I would caution you against it. I think they would make an excellent specimen for a 5 or a 10gallon, where they were the only residents, but I have had them bring oscars to their knees in a 35gal, so color me cautious! :)

so color me cautious!
8O

I love plecos! Get a small variety such as the Rubber lip (nose/face), clown or bristlenose. Keep in mind any fish/animal that you get to eat excess foods will produce waste and there is never an easy answer.

Hammer's Cobalt

I did read some of the previous posts and I have to disagree with most of them, I have a 40 FW and one lobster. Take a look at liveaquaria.com if you want to get the strainght scoop on tank size and compatibility. This is what they post in regards to the Hammer's:

The Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster is the result of selective breeding of a few different species of crayfish in the Cherax genus. They are brilliant blue, which intensifies as the crayfish matures. Because of the selective breeding, they will not loose their coloration, except in times of stress. They may arrive in a brown coloration due to the stress of shipping, but will regain their bright blue coloration within a few days in a proper environment. They stay relatively small in the aquarium, only attaining a total length of 5 inches.

Provide a freshwater aquarium of at least 20 gallons with plenty of rocks, and a substrate with a moderate grain size or finer, for the Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster to burrow in. They are territorial towards their own kind, and a larger aquarium will be needed if housing more than one. Provide at least 20 gallons per Lobster and include plenty of cover including both rocks and plants.

The Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster is generally peaceful, except with its own kind. They will not typically bother fish, unless they are very small, and slow enough for the lobster to catch.

These Lobsters are omnivorous, and will act as a scavenger in the aquarium, eating any food that comes to rest on the bottom. Supplement their diet with a quality sinking pellet, flake food and dried algae.

Approximate Purchase Size: 2" to 3"

Take a look at liveaquaria.com if you want to get the strainght scoop on tank size and compatibility.
Most of us use Live Aquaria, but they are not 100% accurate. Plus, depending on the personality of the fish or "lobster," trouble may occur. We are a cautious bunch, what is working for you may not work for others. I recall a post about a largish crayfish living "happily" in a 180 gal oscar tank, until one day, the oscars ate him.

I think it would be more of a quesiton as to where the fish sleep at night. Ive heard horror stories of all fish being devoured by a lobster because they sleep on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom