Hammers Girlfriend is Back!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
It finally happend..

My Fiddler crabs got the best of me..

The female, Hammers Girlfriend, [ she was so amazingly beautiful, She was this brilliant shade of dark red ] has gone missing.

After a frantic tearing down of the tank twice in vain search for her, my only conclusion is that she escaped somehow, I don't now how long ago it could have been, but all I know is that I can't find her, even after franticly searcing the entire house [ My house is a shambles now, stuff literally thrown all over the floor from being dug out of corners and from against walls in wild search ] I still can't find her.

This is the second [ chronologically ] saddest day in the history of my aquariums.

So I'm torn between blindly hoping I'll wake up tomarrow and see her eating a shrimp pellet infront of her favourite burrow, Or I'll wake up tomarrow to see my dog eating a smelly treat.

I'm literally :bawl:ing right now, She was so awesome...

She even just today developed the ablity to swim! Not just pull herself through the water as she fell, no, She actually could swim. Literally going straight up, across and everything else like a little submarine.

:( :bawl: :(

Aw that sucks William. Maybe grabbing a flashlite and holding sideways against the floor might throw her into relief (if thats where she is) and make her easy to find? And who knows, maybe she IS still somewhere in the tank and is doing a Houdini.

Allivymar said:
Aw that sucks William. Maybe grabbing a flashlite and holding sideways against the floor might throw her into relief (if thats where she is) and make her easy to find?

Thats why I was ripping everything away from the wall, So I could do that. :)

Allivymar said:
And who knows, maybe she IS still somewhere in the tank and is doing a Houdini.

I'm blindly hoping so, but I'll probably just end up with the dog finding her a day or two down the road, dead.. :bawl::bawl::bawl:

Aw... :(

I've heard those little crabs were quite the escape artists. I hope that you find her alive.

William,
I'm so sorry...my betta died tonight so I'm :bawl: ing right along with you.

Well, hopefully she will show up. Would it make sense to just look in the room with the tank, or adjoining rooms? I mean, is it unlikely that she could get up the stairs, if you have any? So you could just concentrate your search where she would most likely be. Also, do you think that you could get your dog to sniff around now, and help you find her? That way, if he sniffs her out, you can grab her before he tries to eat her or something.

I hope everything works out ok! :angel:

Perhaps place some shrimp pellets on the ground around the house? Maybe you'll encourage her to come out... As long as you don't mind the possibility that you'll attract other, less desirable, creatures...

Flashlight's a good idea, too.

Hey, just think of it this way. Crabs survive out of water (for a fair amount of time). You are lucky that you have the opportunity to search. I realized that two of my dear, dear gangetic loaches had flown the coop, but there was nothing I could do by that point..... I was in shock. (This was yesterday.)

I imagine she'll have sought out a dark location in the house, maybe even a moist location if there are any. Those are prob the best to look for her in. Don't give up! You still have time!

The shrimp pellets are a great idea. I just remembered reading something, too, about putting a damp sponge on the ground to attract them.

Maybe you could try those two things and she might show up.

Yeah, totally. Or perhaps even an accesible, mountable, bowl with water in it. Perhaps a bowl with a couple of pieces of cardboard as ramps for her to get up into. (Then again, I'm sure she can get into it...

I would check anything moist lower than te aquarium level. I once had some toads escape in my bedroom. They went under my door, down 3 flights of stairs, under 2 more doors and into the sump pump pit.

I was up till midnight looking for her last night, I could never find her. Shes been out of the tank.. probably 10 hours now;

I think its just about time to accept the fact that my tanks queen beauty is dead. :bawl:

and my dog wouldn't do anything as far as helping find her, shes a Chihuahua afterall.. :(

William - I am so sorry!!! I've been going through the same thing with my tanks. I accidentally dosed Maracyn in my salt water tank and killed ALL of my live coral. It was terrible.

I feel for you, buddy! Chin up!

Todd

But todays my birthday..

Its only 9:30am and I've already lost my crab, spilled TWO glassess of soda, dumped 2lbs of peanuts in the dirty and stubbed my toe.

:bawl: :(

If I were you, I'd go back to bed. :wink:

Just kidding... don't lose hope! I wouldn't be surprised if she could survive a few days out of the water. They breathe air, after all. She will be looking for water, though, as everyone is suggesting.

Try giving her access to water, as others have suggested. You might be surprised!

(Keeping my fingers crossed for ya...)

Oh... Happy Birthday! :)

whatev... if it's just for really temporary housing, it prob doesn't matter hugely. Tank water's best, of course.

I FOUND HER!!!!!

She just walked up to my foot and started picking at it with her little claws, and raising them towards me.. Like a child that wanted to be picked up!

Needless to say I picked her up! Even kissed her before getnyl placign her back in the tank.

OH MY GOD I'M IN TEARS I'M SO HAPPY!!

YEAH!!!!! Definitely a Happy Birthday!!!!!

Gosh, I'm getting all choked up - this is GREAT!!!

She just needed a night out on the town!

Congrats!

Todd

Back
Top Bottom