Hang on Back filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcarr1234

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I havn't had fish in about 8 yrs. Things have changed since then,lol. Whats the best hang on back filter for a 55 gal aquarium? Or do you even recommend the hang on back type filtersanymore?
Thanks for the help!!:thanks:

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Canister Filters actually filter tanks the best, however they are very expensive so not as many people buy them. If you are willing to spend the money, a good canister filter would be the way to go. If not, a HOB filter like a Marineland Emperor 400 would work, and it would be much cheaper.

Personally believe canister filters should be used for anything over 50G but they are expensive and there is enough evidence out there to suggest HOB filters are sufficient.

I have mostly HOB filters. I have a Marineland Magnum canister filter and I hate it.

I was just looking at a magnum 350 on www.petsolutions.com on sale for 79 buck. I know that there are a lot newer designs on the market but that design has been around for over 20 years. I owned four of them then. It really is a "tank" of a filter. Doesn't have quick release. But that never really bothered me back then so I think that's the "bang for your buck" at the moment. Good luck! An welcome back.

I much prefer canisters as they give you good flow and alot of room for media. I've been using Fluval canisters since the 80's and consider the money well spent.

I havn't had fish in about 8 yrs. Things have changed since then,lol. Whats the best hang on back filter for a 55 gal aquarium? Or do you even recommend the hang on back type filtersanymore?
Thanks for the help!!:thanks:

Personally speaking, for a 55gal, HOB's work. I'd say an AquaClear-70 should do the trick. A fluval 306 would do in terms of Canisters.

Back
Top Bottom