Happy new stocking thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today wasn't good. I went to my lfs extremely excited and anxious to get my first fish. My 37 gallon tank just finished cycling and I was ready. There, I decided in three fancy guppies. I brought them home and drip acclimated for about an hour. Out em in. I watched for nearly an hour as they searched the tank together then I left. I came back 3 hours later to find 1 dead. The other 2 huddled in the corner. Then 1 more died. The other one may or may not survive. So I'm not really rushing to get more guppies. But weel see. Anyways. What. Do you guys think about this stock
1 blue zebra angel fish
2 German rams(gold or blue)
4 panda corys(Mabye kuhli loaches)
8 rumynose tetras
1 hopefully live guppy
8 cardinal tetras.
I will add the cardinals next weekend, the panda Cory's the next, the rumynose next, baby angel the next, then a few months rams. My params are all good and I'm hoping my lfs will give me store credit

Guppies as far as I know are kind of hard fish (or at least not sensitive much), they withstand some beginner mistakes.
You don't have to change the type of fish, it wasn't guppies' fault. You should also find out what's the problem to avoid it in the future.
Do you have good aeration, an air pump and an air stone?
How much time did you run the tank for to be cycled?
What did they look like when they died?
I think you most likely bought already sick fish because they wouldn't die so fast

So sorry. Terrible. It does sound like you had some unhealthy fish to start with.

Samzter (on this forum) is pretty knowledgeable about rams also.

From what I have read here about them, you probably are better off putting them in when you are absolutely sure the tank has stabilized. Very pretty fish. Not long ago, I saw a pair of longfin ones for sale on eBay. Sold very quickly. They were just gorgeous!!!

If you've been following Charlie's build threads, you'll know he did everything "right." I really think it was unhealthy stock, it's not much consolation when you lost them though.
btw, I think the new stock list looks good, and the order you're going to add them is great too.

If you've been following Charlie's build threads, you'll know he did everything "right." I really think it was unhealthy stock, it's not much consolation when you lost them though.
btw, I think the new stock list looks good, and the order you're going to add them is great too.

Very doubtful that the stock would die that quick as a result of just their condition. Their condition exacerbated by either the trip, the acclimatization or the tank conditions are more likely.

Well first off I cycled my tank using pure ammonia from ace hardware. I dosed to 4ppm and saw the ammonia fall and nitrites rise, then the nitrite fall and trates spike, then a wc to bring them down, then to make sure dosed ammonia 2 more days and each 24 hrs all readings were ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates 10. I acclimated by pouring the water of the bags into a 5 gallon bucket, I added a cup if tank water every 5 minuets till it had doubled, then removed half and repeated.

Also, as for stoking, there may be 0 guppies, I can't find the lone surviver. I looked everywhere.

If the guppys had a pre-existing condition I doubt it manifested into death that quickly, especially if they seemed healthy apon purchase. It sounds like Charlie did everything correctly though.

I hope you find the cause of your losses, enigmatic to say the leaat.

Thanks. Any ideas where the guppie is? He's not where he usually is in the open, and I checked and he didnt jump.

Also, my test results are ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate is 10.i found him, he was be hind the plant, hugging the floor. He looks like the others before they went

So te guppy is not tilted or upside down, but he is swimming along the bottom back of the tank, not exactly swimming. Should I take him back too? I ll be taking the dead ones in for a refund, and I think he will go too because I want to dose ammo for another week to make sure I'm all good

So next week I'm debating, 3 silver halfbeaks or 8 cardinal tets. Which are hardier? And are halfbeaks get big?

No I did not that's why I was asking. Trying to cover all ground. Loosing two fish within hours of purchase calls for everything to be looked into.

So te guppy is not tilted or upside down, but he is swimming along the bottom back of the tank, not exactly swimming. Should I take him back too? I ll be taking the dead ones in for a refund, and I think he will go too because I want to dose ammo for another week to make sure I'm all good

I would return him. Sounds like a good plan.

CharlieKlein said:
So next week I'm debating, 3 silver halfbeaks or 8 cardinal tets. Which are hardier? And are halfbeaks get big?

Halfbeaks are aggressive little buggers. Get tetras.

No I did not that's why I was asking. Trying to cover all ground. Loosing two fish within hours of purchase calls for everything to be looked into.

You're right, mumma, everything should be looked at, I wasn't trying to be rude, my sincere apologies if I came off that way.
I've been following his threads and could feel his excitement, I remember being that excited at the beginning too. It's frightening to lose fish so quickly after adding them, and I was just trying to offer reassurance to him.

I would return the remaining guppy, and ask for a refund for all 3. i don't have any experience with halfbeaks, but when I was younger we had a school of 6 cardinals in my family's aquarium, and they were practically bulletproof, much hardier than neons as I recall.

I really like the halfbeaks, anyone else reccommend against em? They are my 1st choice, then 6 cardinals

Back
Top Bottom